Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning up bezel settings

Peter, I clean my stones with soap and water and a scotchbrite pan scrubbing pad, I try not to use them near soft metals, my main use is when shaping agates when restoring antique boxes made by James Cox.
    James

I tend to use scouring powder for the most part (with scotchbrite), but it isn't getting the last few specks. Even picking them off with the tip of a graver hasn't worked.

I would be tempted to try with some etching acid, dabbed on the metal pieces with a toothpick.
    I bought my Spiderco 8"x2" bench stones about twenty years ago and they cost me £16 each, the medium grit ones get used the most.
    James

Jo, this is the Spiderco stone I use most for sharpening my scorpers, they are quite costly but will last for many years; http://www.mindyourfingers.co.uk/P4424.html
    One good benefit is that they do not need any lubrication like regular oil stones. I first used Norton oil stones, lubricated with paraffin oil, which are good but with constant use the scorpers wear grooves in the stone,but they are quite cheap if you are not a frequent user, see; http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools...a-bench-stones
    James

Jo, I made a posting but it was referred to a moderater, probably because I suggested other retailers, I suggested a retailer for the Spiderco stones, but if you want a cheaper stone then Cookson sell these;http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...omSuggest=true ,which are fine for sharpening scorpers, just be careful not to grind in the same area as you can grind grooves in them. They do need a lubrication though, I just use paraffin oil for this.
    James

Sorted - the system's being twitchy about links off & on.

On the Spyderco stones, I think they've got better longevity than the DMT cards, where the diamond grit can get loosened in the nickel matrix (too much pressure usually); the grey does wear very slightly, the white (fine) basically doesn't. The extra fine is actually the same composition as the fine, it has just been surface ground to give it a finer finish.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 19-07-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks James :} Would you be able to send me the larger pictures?? Shall I pm you my email address??

Yes Jo, I have them on a Zip file that I can send you.
    James