Thread: Unique Cabochons

Default Unique Cabochons

Hello, I am currently setting quite unusual shaped cabochons (ie stones that are pointed, oblong or freeform
    etc), but the place that I get them from (a store on ebay.com) has a limited range of types of stones and I am sure I can find somewhere with a greater range. The store on ebay stocks things like iron tigers eye,
    pietersite, different types of jasper etc. I am also quite sick of being outbid on really great stones and would
    like to purchase without bidding. I am not sure if they are very high quality, i usually buy based on whether
    the stones have an unusual shape and striking colouring etc. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a
    supplier that can deliver cabochons of both quality and uniqueness of shape and colouring. Your help is very
    much appreciated. Briadha

Hi Briadha,

What you are looking for is as scarce as hen's teeth in UK because our the market is painfully traditional. You might look at: Marcus McCallum, Marcia Lanyon and also Lorenz Edelstein, a German company who have exotic carved stones.

If you are based in UK, then go to the Rock'n'Gem shows, particularly the one at Kempton Park. Also visit IJL at Earls Court London in September which has an expanding semi-precious gem section.

However the best place in Europe is the huge Inhorgenta, which takes place in Munich in February. But keep your wits about you, because a rock is a rock and prices can be arbitrary. Good Hunting, Dennis.

I agree completely with Dennis (I get most of my 'odd' cabs at Rock'n'Gem). There are also usually some interesting pieces available from http://www.designercabochons.co.uk/?...FQJO4QodlkdG0Q

Hi Thanks Dennis, I'll try to get to at least one of those shows this year I've had a look at www.designercabochons.co.uk,
    and some lovely stones - quite reasonably priced also. Thanks George. Briadha

Apart from designer cabochons I get most of my stones on etsy ~ I have got to know which sellers sell the right stones for me ~ if that makes sense Are you on etsy ??

Hi Jo Etsy is a good idea. I've started putting a few things on etsy - it seems quite good and very cheap to
    list. Briadha