Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jump ring mass production

I tried putting the small coil on the bench pin and it did work but it takes strong fingers to hold it still, but I managed to make 3 nice ones. Watch strap nearly finished now thank goodness, just cleaning and polishing left now, and waiting for customer to send me the face. Just the jumpring bracelet to go now, then up to date with things. Who said when you retire you will have time on your hands, I was made redundant at 61 three years ago, after having a cataract removed, along with my eye, so have only one eye, which is a bit testing sometimes, you lose the ability to see how far things are away, so after a few burnt fingers and things melting I have come quite a long way. Decided in a "gung ho" moment to have a go at soldering and making silver jewellery a year ago at the local college. The course was a 10 week evening course, the lady originally teaching was taken ill and one of the advanced pupils stood in for her, but she didnt come back so the "pupil/teacher" finished the class, hence I have so many questions. I would like to go to the school in Cornwall to do a more advanced course but at the moment, lack of money is holding me back, and it was supposed to be just a hobby, not a business as it has turned out to be. We (my daughter and I) went to the course together and now take our stuff to craft fairs and local village shows and have sold quite a bit of stuff, certainly enough to pay for itself and a bit more, so I am well pleased. You dont know how much it means to me to be able to get help like this, its invaluable to me, thanks yet once again.
    Pat

Speaking for myself, I'm always pleased to help, Pat. Also it's far more relaxing than actually doing it . Regards, Dennis.

Hi, for some reason I missed your reply, thank you for the information, not only am I newish to making silver stuff, but I am new to forums too, this is my first, so not sure how and where messages go !!! I have tried the method mizgeorge mentioned and at last I have it sussed out. I made a few out of copper yesterday all I have to do now is make some out of silver. It has saved me the cost of a Koil Kutter, thank you.
    Pat

Hi I dont know if you are able to read the last bit that I wrote to Goldsmith, but I have it sussed out now and have made a few which were very successful, its just in the knack. Unfortunately the class I went to in the local college wasnt that good, showed the very basics but thats all, so its been a steep learning curve ever since. Best wishes, Pat

Pat - I'm so glad it's working for you now

And it was lovely to meet you and Sam as well! I hope we'll see you up here again before to long.

Hi, its me again, still going on and on about jumprings, just a quick question, to george really as she seems to be the Jumpring Queen, do you use hard silver or soft for your jumprings, and what would you use hard for please.

I use half hard for wires thinner than 1mm and dead soft for thicker.

Thanks George, I thought my jumprings acted differently to yours, mine were too bendy. Anyway you will be pleased to note that I have started to make a chain for a necklace I wanted to make, only made about 6 inches so far but very pleased with the result. Thank you for your help, I cant believe that making jumprings in your hand can be so easy with no risk of visiting A & E again !!!
    Pat