Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maker's mark - is it vain of me to want one?

Default Maker's mark - is it vain of me to want one?

I've not been making silver things for terribly long, but I have sold a few items to family, acquaintances and also on eBay, with the hope of selling many more - if I can make my hobby pay for itself, I'll me more than happy. I know about the 7.78g silver threshold for hallmarking (and that I can't sell it as silver if it's more than this and unmarked), and while lots of my things are much smaller than that, some are a bit heftier. The bigger items are mainly things I have made as gifts, such as an anniversary ring for my husband and a brooch for my mother in law - but I really want to have them hallmarked, and with my name/mark on - I love the idea that my creations are forever attributable to me, basically. Is it worthwhile for a "hobbyist" such as myself to get a maker's mark (the setup cost would be my birthday present )? I'm interested to know what you more experienced jewellers have to say on the subject...

Mel x

It would be entirely up to you. However, if you would plan to sell the heavier items you must have them hallmarked, there would simply be no choice. It would be illegal to sell something over the limit without a hallmark. You must also remember that the max weight for unhalmarked gold is 1g, which is a very small amount.

To be honest I would say, yes, if you do plan to develop into a more serious business. However, if you are only learning at the moment and make things for friends and family, purely gifts, then that would be an unnesessary expence. The cost of setting up is not cheap (better spend that money on good quality tools) and the hallmarking costs themselves do let themselves know, especially if there is only a couple of things to send in.

I hope I haven't put you off :-)

I have just looked at the things you make - very imressive, especially for a beginner. Well done ;-)

Hi Mel,
    You will have to take the plunge sometime and when you do so will depend on your funds. The next decision is whether to have a punch, which is of a fixed size and will leave a slight dent, or go for the 3D laser option.
    This won't look quite as traditional but it is computerised, so you can request a larger or smaller size to suit you piece, or just mark the place with a pen. In London this used to be returned quite dark looking and needed re-pickling, but recent pieces have come back bright and shiny. Dennis.

Hi, I am also fairly new to jewellery making and although I realise that there is a limit on having things hallmarked I had no idea it was so small. I have made a couple of rings and sold them and I know they must have been heavier than 7.78 grms, will someone please visit me in prison!!!! If it is over 7.78grms do you have to send
    the item away to be hallmarked or can you use a stamp saying 925. We weren't given much info at the evening classes I attended so I dont even know how to use a 925 punch anyway. Do you have to use it on hot or cold silver. If you have to send items away, can you tell me where I have to send them and how much it will cost please approx.

Dear Pat,

Contact your nearest assay office and ask for an information pack, or get it online. You then register and choose which type of hallmark to use. The regulations apply to platinum, gold and silver. All your work is then sent to them for hallmarking. If you sell from a showroom, shop, stall, or stand, you must also display the hallmarking poster.

If over the regulation weight and not hallmarked it can only be sold as 'white' or 'yellow' metal or other such wording. hope that helps, Regards, Dennis.

Pat, you cannot stamp 925 yourself on items over 7.78g. It's illegal, and pointless. You see it stamped on a lot of commercial (especially imported) items and it means absolutely nothing. You could put it on a bit of brass and it would mean no more.

If you don't want to register your mark right away, you can use a hallmarking service (Cooksons offer this) or get together with a group of friends and split the cost of a cooperative mark.

I find the Birmingham office website the most understandable, but you have a choice of Birmingham, London, Edinburgh or Sheffield when you come to register.

http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/

Bear in mind that if you are selling precious metal items, even those under hallmark threshold, you must always display the dealer's notice.

It's a shame that tutors fail to provide this information to their students, as the majority of them attending a recognised course are eligible for reduced rates on registration and punches.

I have recently set up my own sponsor's mark with Birmingham and found them very helpful and willing to guide you through the process. The expensive bit were the two punches (0.5mm and teeny weeny) and I would like to add a 1mm punch at some point.

I give most of the little I make (although I will have to start covering my costs soon) to friends and family and they have been really chuffed to have something with "my" hallmark on it. And I feel a bit chuffed too.

So my advice would be to go for it!

Thank you all for your help, I will send off to the Birmingham Assay office today to ask for an information pack, as George says it would have been helpful if my teacher had told us more information, but it was a basic one evening a week course for 10 weeks so a lot was missing, hence my reliance on people that are willing to help me and dont mind me pestering them. I have been thinking about going to the school in Cornwall for a proper course but as I am retired now, although I have plenty of time I dont have plenty of money, unfortunately. My daughter has also thought about doing a course there, on the PMC for Tutors to enable her to teach it. My opinion, its nasty sticky stuff, give me real silver any day. Anyway, thanks again to all.
    Pat

Hi I have just looked on the Birmingham Assay Office and the charges aren't too bad, given that they have a minimum charge of £16 (set-up fees aside). I expect between the two of us (my daughter and myself) we will be able to make a small parcel up. Presumably it is better to send the items off before stones etc have been added. Shame the Exeter Assay Office closed a long time ago, 1883 to be exact !!!!!!