Thread: Hand held torch not powerful enough

Default Hand held torch not powerful enough

I have been struggling to solder a bangle with the hand torch in the beginners kit. My tutor suggests I buy a more 'industrial' one from a DIY store for future projects. I tried for two evenings but the hand torch just didn't seem enough. The bigger one at college did the job in about five minutes. I am not sure now whether to buy another one. I was very frustrated? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Is it normal to need different ones when starting out?

Have you tried building a little 'oven' out of the soldering bricks, that way the heat will be trapped inside and less heat will be escaping. I don't use a cooks torch myself and would definately recommend having something better. THe best option would be a gas and oxygen one. I personally prefer and use Little Torch, you can adjust the size of the flame as well as the temperature.

I agree with lilia, enclosing it in charcoal blocks really helps get the heat up if you only have a hand held butane one. When I finally get my quarterly pay I'm getting a better one though, because it is hugely frustrating just having a small one.

Dear HP,

This is a common problem, which is asked about on the forum almost every month. As always the answer is that even with quite thin wire it is not possible to get the piece hot enough with a small torch, but sometimes you can retain sufficient heat by building an oven. Ordinary grey soldering blocks are OK, but If you have a stash of small wall tiles somewhere, they might do too with the unglazed side towards the flame.

If you have not seen it, also have a look at this, http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/hot...html#post39487 Regards,Dennis.

Your tutor is, of course, exactly right. These cheap torches from B&Q are all the rage at just £18. Big, soft flame, lots of heat.

Really though, it's about boldness - lots of heat for a short time and most bangles, rings and pendants can be soldered with the cheapest of little cook's torches. But boldness comes with experience and your tutor is right to point you to More Heat!

Lots of us here have a whole library of torches but I'm realising (as confessions escape the lips of the pros) that most people do most of their work with the cheapest of torches.

I <heart> my Smiths Little Torch, but I seldom remove the melting head; I've not used it for anything but casting for months. The Walkover is languishing in need of new hose ends and the Sievert is set-up for casting slugs in the ingot mould.

Virtually all soldering is done with a teeny butane torch, like this from Maplins for £21.

The big advice I point to - very clear in Dennis' link too - is to use HARD solder. HARD solder is easy to use and behaves well. You may think your solder isn't melting and may think it's too cool... it may just be horrible "medium" or "easy" solder that pretends not to melt and dithers around the joint.

Default Soldering

Thank you for your suggestions. I went away and just did beading for a month but after your friendly helpful comments will have another go at soldering.

Thank you for your help.