Thread: Keum Boo question(s)

Default Keum Boo question(s)

I'm doing a workshop in Keum Boo in a couple of weeks time; the class list says to take along a piece or pieces of jewellery we have already prepared, as there won't be time for fabrication in class, so a couple of questions:-

Do I use sterling or reflections silver - I'd like to take bangles to decorate, but firescale can be a problem for me sometimes and the price difference between reflections and sterling is not as much as I thought it would be. I read a previous post (from Dennis, I believe) that the gold is more difficult to see on the reflexctions?

I'd like to hammer the pieces to add texture, but do I do this before the gold is added or afterwards? Or does it not matter if the gold foil is properly bonded?

Thanks

Susie

Any hallmark quality silver will do Susie, but the gold leaf is thin and fragile so you must complete all your soldering, texturing and finishing and add it last. That said it is possible to darken the silver afterwards with a sulphur compound to create a strong contrast. The gold will remain unaffected.

The thinness of the leaf also means it will wear through easily, so it is more suitable for low wear items such as earrings, pendants and brooches.

Dennis.