Thread: Possible to rescue omega wire collier??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Possible to rescue omega wire collier??

Hi Guys,

A lady returned to me on Saturday with a 14ct omega collier that I sold her last week, she tells me it has been in the washing machine, looks as if it has been through the dog. Anyway, 14ct 1.1mm thick omega collier, rescuable?

Thanks in advance.
    Les
    Poor old Les

It really is poor old Les this time. I'm presuming it is made of round wire. To rescue it you would have to anneal, stretch to straighten and then re-form it. This would reduce it to 1.0 or 0.9mm in diameter.

Alternatively you could start anew and make an allowance against the old wire. Although this is not a problem of your making, what happens next will either enhance or detract from your reputation and good will. So you are being challenged to find a solution which your customer will find favourable. How much is it worth?

Dennis.

a no doubt dumb question, but what's an omega collar?

If I have understood this correctly its a stiff wire neck-piece in the shape of the last letter of the Greek alphabet. You will have noted that 1.1mm wire couild be rather thin for this application and I'm waiting for Les to come back and say he really meant 2.1mm.

Hi Deninis,

I have annealled the wire, and stretched it and although no longer reusable in this application, I will be able to use the wire again. Yes I agree, 1.1mm wire is thin for a necklace, but the pendant is a delicate pearl and believe me, 2.1mm is way too thick for this assignment, I pushed for a minimum 1.5 mm but she wanted this, her orders and I mean orders, written down, were to never sleep in the collier, remove and always place back in the box for safe keeping. Anyway, I have remade the collier itself with 1.5mm and she will be charged only for the extra cost of the thicker wire.
    Poor old Les

hang on, you gave her detailed care instructions, made it in a thinner wire than you wanted on her orders, she then puts it through the washing machine and you remake her one for free only charging for the extra cost of the wire? I hope she is a good, repeat customer!