Thread: A Gadget Too Many, Part three of three.

Default A Gadget Too Many, Part three of three.

In part two: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...ght=#post43220, you looked at some of the tools for flex shaft in my gadget box. But there are still more, although some are now little used.

Abrasive Disks and Rolls. 3M and paper disks tend to leave circular score marks, so can be used to create a texture of repeated semi-circles like you see on bistro tables. They can be reduced in size by touching a sharp point to the smooth side while they are running. I sometimes use them, applied lightly, to remove small patches of stray solder.

The abrasive band (lower right) has an expanding rubber arbour. I presume it was designed to be used on wood, because on metal it wears from coarse to shiny in minutes.

One alternative is to use a strip of your own abrasive paper in a split mandrel (top right). The slot can be adjusted and the parallel sided one retains the paper best. But be prepared for a scary flapping sound when you start it up.

The cartridge rolls (mid left) are fitted to a very long threaded mandrel and can work brilliantly. The down side is that if you increase its speed beyond a certain unknown point, the mandrel will suddenly bend over and continue to rotate dangerously due to centripetal force. You would do well to avoid this.

Lastly there is the sander roll (lower left) the best of the bunch if you choose the coarse one. The paper comes glued to the mandrel, but can be peeled back to expose new abrasive.

Frosting Wheel, Burnisher ,Riveter and Mops. The medium frosting wheel (top left) is an expensive must-have, but the wires can fly, so wear eye protection. They can be used by intention, or as an afterthought, to add instant glamour and disguise blemishes.

The tungsten carbide burnisher (lower left) proves the old adage, that a fool and his money are soon parted. The riveting wheel (lower right) will heal scratches and spread rivets where a hammer might do some damage, but in an unimpressive way, so save your money here too.

What remains are the cotton mops, the felt wheel the brush and the chamois. These were originally intended for use with polishing compounds, which are generally too messy for me. I do occasionally use them with Vonax to re-polish resin, or with diamond paste on gemstones.
    Last edited by Dennis; 27-06-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The cartridge rolls (mid left) are fitted to a very long threaded mandrel and can work brilliantly. The down side is that if you increase its speed beyond a certain unknown point, the mandrel will suddenly bend over and continue to rotate dangerously due to centripetal force. You would do well to avoid this.
    This holds true for a lot of mandrels - so I usually lop about 1/2" off them so they seat down a bit lower. In the event of them bending, they don't immediately turn into a propellor; oh, and don't run them full tilt either, as you'll go a long way towards encouraging them to misbehave if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    In part two you looked at some of the tools for flex shaft in my gadget box. But there are still more, although some are now little used.

Abrasive Disks and Rolls. 3M and paper disks tend to leave circular score marks, so can be used to create a texture of repeated semi-circles like you see on bistro tables. They can be reduced in size by touching a sharp point to the smooth side while they are running. I sometimes use them, applied lightly, to remove small patches of stray solder.

The abrasive band (lower right) has an expanding rubber arbour. I presume it was designed to be used on wood, because on metal it wears from coarse to shiny in minutes.

One alternative is to use a strip of your own abrasive paper in a split mandrel (top right). The slot can be adjusted and the parallel sided one retains the paper best. But be prepared for a scary flapping sound when you start it up.

Lastly there is the sander roll (lower left) the best of the bunch if you choose the coarse one. The paper comes glued to the mandrel, but can be peeled back to expose new abrasive.

Frosting Wheel, Burnisher ,Riveter and Mops. The medium frosting wheel (top left) is an expensive must-have, but the wires can fly, so wear eye protection. They can be used by intention, or as an afterthought, to add instant glamour and disguise blemishes.

The tungsten carbide burnisher (lower left) proves the old adage, that a fool and his money are soon parted. The riveting wheel (lower right) will heal scratches and spread rivets where a hammer might do some damage, but in an unimpressive way, so save your money here too.

What remains are the cotton mops, the felt wheel the brush and the chamois. These were originally intended for use with polishing compounds, which are generally too messy for me. I do occasionally use them with Vonax to re-polish resin, or with diamond paste on gemstones.
    This post was repeated to restore images accidentally deleted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (g)Abrasive Disks And Rolls.jpg   (h)Frosting Wheel, Burnisher, Riveter,Mops..jpg   (i) Detail Of Riveter.jpg  

This series has been very interesting and informative Dennis.

Thank you

Sonia
    x