Thread: Sweetness and Light

Default Sweetness and Light

Our class project this term was to make a piece of jewellery on the theme ’Sweetness and Light’.

As a boy I could never pass an ash hedge without cutting a stout twig just below the node and turning it into a whistle. With my trusted pen knife I would whittle the mouth piece, make a notch and then, this was the best part, lick it and suck it until the bark softened. Then I would tap the bark all over until it loosened , cut through it at the base and gently remove it. When the stem was hollowed sufficiently, the bark could be replaced and there was a whistle.

With this in mind I decided to make a silver pendant of a similar design using some 5.50 o/s diameter tubing. The notch was easy and before shaping the mouthpiece it was closed with a well-fitting silver wire that had a flat filed on the top to admit air. The far end was detailed with a shallow anticlastic ring.

So far so good, but I could not get any sound out of it with the far end either closed or left open . Before giving up I experimented by narrowing the end with more tubing and finally by inserting a small screwdriver. This at last produced quite a shrill note, so I replaced it with a short wedge-shaped wire, soldered in. The twisted wire ring was added for decoration.

Whether this has fulfilled the remit of Sweetness and Light, I can’t be sure, But it does have a high pitched silvery tone, rather like a dog whistle, so when completing the necklace I raided my scrap pot to carve a little dog for the end of the extension chain . Whistle pendants might be all the rage this year.

Dennis, this ia a beautiful piece. I really think you could start a new trend here, talking as a dog owner myself. I love the dog you have carved too, you are so clever.

Kim x

Gosh what a clever chappie you are, what a beautiful piece of work, also a functional one too as it works. Like Kim I am also a dog owner, I have a Black Lab aged 2 and a Border Terror (no the spelling is correct) aged 14 months. The Lab is fine, but the little one is a pest, she is a real character but a bit of a challenge as you have to be one step ahead all the time. A silver whistle would definately be the envy of all the dog walkers that I know.

oooh nice! how did you carve the dog? out of wax and then cast or directly from the metal?

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    How did you carve the dog? out of wax and then cast or directly from the metal?
    I carved a right and left image and then soldered them together. The jump ring, collar and ears were added last. Dennis.

Gorgeous gorgeous work Dennis! You are an inspiration.

Wow, the dog is amazing

Lesley

Wow - I love this!
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Lovely Dennis. Very interesting to hear how you made it whistle!!