Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: balling 2mm silver wire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default balling 2mm silver wire

is it possible? I've tried and tried and the best I can manage is a slightly swollen lump on the end. I've also tried melting a lump of silver so it's a ball and soldering the wire on. failed and also tried sticking the wire into the molten ball of silver, also failed. There must be a way to get a silver blob on the end of 2mm?

I can ball sterling with no problems, but it inevitably pits. I tend to make the balls separately and solder them on - the finish is much better that way.

Once you have a satisfactory ball, as George suggests, rest it in a dimple made in your block with a hand held burr to keep it still. Melt a little solder onto the end of your wire, then re-flux both and hold the wire down on your ball with tweezers. Heat again and the two should connect.

I think the main problem is simply keeping the two in contact while soldering. Regards, Dennis.

OK, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I think half my problem is my eyes. I need to get them tested I think.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    OK, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I think half my problem is my eyes. I need to get them tested I think.
    Hi Liz,

Your life will be turned around if you get a headband magnifyer. They need not be expensive, or have built in lights, which can be a nuisance. I am thinking of something like this http://www.follymodels.co.uk/expo-73...nses-196-p.asp, with both lenses used together. They can be worn with or without glasses.

The only thing to watch is not to wipe them with a finger or a cloth, as grit will scratch them. Rather use detergent and a soft painbrush with running water.

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 16-06-2011 at 09:57 AM.

I totally need something like that (OMG! I mean! I've totally turned into an american teenager!). I sometime use one of those clip-on-the-work-surface magnifies and they make me feel a bit seasick, but my eyes have got bad and I DO need a new script for specs.

I only just got back from work and am too knackered to work tonight. may have to be the weekend if I get my marking out of the way. This is a long overdue project.

I have a small reel of 1mm argentium just for balling (current use is for making my cupid's arrows). Argex is a lovely supplier and the new stuff I've received is excellent.

Listen-up Cookies - you need to stock something suitable for balling and that is not your Reflections!

Message removed
    Last edited by lilia; 22-06-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilia View Post
    Joe, Do you know if Argex fixed the problems with the Argentium?
    To be honest I didn't get any of the bad stuff that people complained of, I use so little of it. The reel that came last week seems to behave like the old stuff... might be worth asking for a proof sample if you've had a bad time with it.

There shouldn't be any poblems balling up Reflections, just need a very hot flame and a bit of flux.

Joe, Do you know if Argex fixed the problems with their Argentium?