Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: balling 2mm silver wire

There shouldn't be any poblems balling up Reflections, just need a very hot flame and a bit of flux.

Joe, Do you know if Argex fixed the problems with their Argentium?

Hi Liz,
    A little tip re eyesight problems, when I get my eyes tested I go to Specsavers when they are offering two pairs of specs for the price of one. I get my usual readers and then for the free set I get a pair of magnifier or close focus specs which are 5X mag and made to my prescription also. I use these close focus specs most of the time at the bench and when I want ultra close vision I add my Optiviser.
    As to soldering balls onto 2mm. wire, take your time, follow the earlier tips given, try using a gentle flame rather than a fierce hot one, bring the metals up to the solder melt point slowly and it will run well. Bad joints are usually achieved by melting the solder before the object metals are at the same temperature as the melting solder.
    I hope this makes sense.
    James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 22-06-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilia View Post
    Joe, Do you know if Argex fixed the problems with the Argentium?
    To be honest I didn't get any of the bad stuff that people complained of, I use so little of it. The reel that came last week seems to behave like the old stuff... might be worth asking for a proof sample if you've had a bad time with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well done Liz, but you have not told us what you are making yet. I was thinking, would one hole silver balls do, or are they too fragile for your purpose? The late Blundells used to sell heavy duty ones, but I don't know whether anyone does now. Dennis.
    pic is here... I had a bit of a look for silver balls but couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I have a small reel of 1mm argentium just for balling (current use is for making my cupid's arrows). Argex is a lovely supplier and the new stuff I've received is excellent.

Listen-up Cookies - you need to stock something suitable for balling and that is not your Reflections!
    I need to ball 2mm though.... I'd love to see your arrows!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Hi Liz,
    A little tip re eyesight problems, when I get my eyes tested I go to Specsavers when they are offering two pairs of specs for the price of one. I get my usual readers and then for the free set I get a pair of magnifier or close focus specs which are 5X mag and made to my prescription also. I use these close focus specs most of the time at the bench and when I want ultra close vision I add my Optiviser.
    As to soldering balls onto 2mm. wire, take your time, follow the earlier tips given, try using a gentle flame rather than a fierce hot one, bring the metals up to the solder melt point slowly and it will run well. Bad joints are usually achieved by melting the solder before the object metals are at the same temperature as the melting solder.
    I hope this makes sense.
    James
    OK, well I will try that next time. I used quite a hot flame the fist couple of times I tried to solder. I am getting better!

the glasses idea is brilliant. I will get them to do me a 5x pair this summer when I finally get chance to go in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo 42.jpg  

What is it, a clothes hook for a Cornish pisky? This firm Cooksons has varios silver beads under findings, including NVQ T37-75 solid cast balls and cheaper NVQ 101X-104X semi solid. Also one hole beads. Well, someone owes me a fiver here. Dennis.

something like that.

Thanks for the info on the beads, but I suspect this is a one off.