Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nitric Acid

No it's nitrous oxide that's the laughing matter. Ha Ha Ha.

I needn't have worried about being obtuse then

Ok........ I am coming back to this having been scared stiff by all of your talk the first time brought this up!!

Now!!! Being sensible please, what is the best acid to used for acid etching with the mylands black polish? I'm feeling braver now!! hahghaha
    HannahMary Jewellery
    Website

Default A broken Thread.

Hi Hannah Mary,

This method using a battery and salt appeared on the forum last December, posted by surfgirl. I have been unable to locate it today, so here is my copy, scanned in. I believe it works on various metals including copper, brass and silver.

If you do not find this sufficient and you PM me, I can send you photocopies, plus more detailed stuff I have from another source. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-09-2011 at 08:09 PM.

The saltwater etch method first appeared in an issue of Art Jewelry a couple of years ago (from memory) and is still available as a download from them. There are also a couple of free blogs featuring the same technique. I've used it for copper and brass, but have yet to see good results on silver, even with the expensive Sherri Haab kit.

You could also try Edinburgh etch, there are numerous recipes around.

I have to admit that on the rare occasions I do any etching, I put on my big blue gloves and head outdoors with my nitric acid and goosefeather!

So, what are the advantages of using nitic acid (which sounds alarming) over ferric nitrate (which sounds much less so) to etch sterling silver? I'm thinking of doing at etching course at London Jewellery school, but don't really want to play with nitric acid at home unless I really have to.

I just find nitric quicker and crisper.