Thread: Fire Stain

Question Fire Stain

hello.

I have a question that I have been worried about asking as I feel I may just be missing a simple trick or just being a bit dense. Haha.

I occasionally get Fire stain on my pieces and even after plenty of filing/sanding it refuses to budge. Currently working on a larger surface area and it sticks out like a sore thumb.
    WHY do you get fire stain? and HOW do you get rid of the little blighter?!

Hope you are all having wonderful days xx
    HannahMary Jewellery
    Website

Why is time at temperature... The longer you spend at soldering temperatures, the more sub-surface oxide you get. The problem is that you're also depletion gilding the metal, so when you've scrubbed down to the area you can see, you've exposed a bit more. It will come out, but it takes some work. Water of Ayr stones help - I keep meaning to find if any of the EDM stones break down in a similar way.

Hi HannahMary,
    The higher the polish, the more the firescale shows, so you do have the option of settling for a satin finish. You can also do depletion gilding, as Peter mentions, by heating and pickling repeatedly six or seven times. This leaves a very thin layer of fine silver on the surface, so covering the fault. Other remedies are:

1. Sending it away for professional plating, which will be thicker and more durable.
    2. Scouring until the stain has gone, which can take an hour or so. Using a large green Scotchbrite mop on a polishing lathe is quicker.
    3. Firescale can also be removed with dilute nitric acid; not so good at home.
    4. Applying a reducing agent as a preventative, prior to heating. An example is a saturated solution of boracic acid powder in meths ( take care to leave your bottle and brush out of range of the flame). Using a more bushy flame also helps.

As you will have gathered, any remaining firescale is difficult to see until you achieve a high polish, so you have to keep retracing your steps. Some jewellers suggest looking for it through a piece of grease proof paper or baking parchment, but I have not tried that. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-06-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added precautions.