Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how to use gold leaf

still seems expensive, but then if it's 25 x thicker than this stuff https://www.thepmcstudio.co.uk/shop/...26aid%3D233%26 then I suppose it's pretty cheap.

OK, the PMC studio stuff is 13 microns thick as a FYI.

sorry to bud in, I bought this by mistake, before Cookson had gold foil for Keum Boo.

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-855-001

they are so thin, it's almost see through.
    I followed a tutorial on You tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ole...F4131EE05C0BEB

because the sheets are so thin, I had to repeat the process 3 times, and here is the result:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/momojew...7626849959421/

I scratched the pieces with my fingernails, the gold is not coming off, I think I may be alright.

Oh, did I say thank you Joe for recommending those cabi drill bits, without you, I wouldn't have finished those pieces.
    Thank you, Dennis, now I can SEE!
    Thank you, Peter... for caring.

xoxo
    Margaret

wow Margaret, I LOVE your rings! I am sooo gonna have to give this a go now

Linda

They look great - I love them!

Pauline
    x

I'm considering trying keum boo and have watched the really helpful video from Cooksons and read other info. So far I have only watched demonstrations of heating sheet silver, which is easy to lay down on a heat plate. What tips does anybody have for heating a ring when I want to apply the gold to a flat surface soldered onto a ring shank - any other trickyer shapes for that matter, like little cups. Thanks.

Not strictly the same topic but I have been playing with gold leaf - at times more on my nose than where I wanted it - my query is..am I being too parsimonious keeping all the papers with wisps of gold leaf with a view to sending them to the melt? Do I need to lighten up and get a life or should I carry on keeping
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Not strictly the same topic but I have been playing with gold leaf - at times more on my nose than where I wanted it - my query is..am I being too parsimonious keeping all the papers with wisps of gold leaf with a view to sending them to the melt? Do I need to lighten up and get a life or should I carry on keeping
    I keep it all and just build up layers with scrap pieces, haven't got to the saving for scrap stage yet!

Quote Originally Posted by HK17 View Post
    I'm considering trying keum boo and have watched the really helpful video from Cooksons and read other info. So far I have only watched demonstrations of heating sheet silver, which is easy to lay down on a heat plate. What tips does anybody have for heating a ring when I want to apply the gold to a flat surface soldered onto a ring shank - any other trickyer shapes for that matter, like little cups. Thanks.
    The same still goes for heating up larger pieces it just takes longer. Having said that I often use a small torch to fire my Keum Boo holding the piece in pliers over the flame and pulling it away every so often so that it doesn't over heat. I've been doing a few cup shapes recently and the agate burnishers are a bit more tricky so I've been using doming punches to get into the curves and that's worked well and they don't heat up so quickly. You can see examples on my Fb page to give you an idea of what I can achieve which is sometimes quite random but I've learnt to be more flexible with my plans as so much gold gets blown out of place by anything from the gas to a wee breath of wind!