Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2mm green sapphires

Default 2mm green sapphires

Hi,

I am desperately trying to find a 2mm green sapphire round gemstone. I've got some from Ward's, but they are light green and that's all they stock.

I have a customer who ordered a ring and wants a 2mm green sapphire flush set. But she wants the sapphire to be darker green.

Does anyone know of a supplier who sells them? I tried everywhere, the UK and the USA suppliers, but not many sell green sapphires at all and it proves extremely tricky to find one. Please help

To be honest, after 10 years in the designing side of things and 5 years in jewellery retail, I don't think I have ever come across anything but lighter green sapphire in the flesh, so to speak. You could try any supplier dealing with gems from Thailand - they tend to have more depth of colour to them. Does it have to be sapphire? Would the customer be satisfied with tsavorite or peridot perhaps? Emeralds of that size wouldn't be too expensive, either....
    Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your reply. I tried Multicolour in Thailand (?), but they only do yellow-green sapphires, which are the wrong size and not the colour she is looking for.

It is to be flush set into the metal, so it has to be a sapphire. I don't have any experience flush setting softer stones, so didn't want to risk, as I am not sure whether the facetes would stay sharp or get chipped. There is a green diamond, of course, but the customer didn't want to pay the extra.

Any feedback on flush setting softer stones would be brilliant, if any of you, guys tried it.

Here are two more people to try;

info@marcusmccullum.com and anthony@marcialanyon.com. Being committed to work before you have sourced the stones is always a pain so even if you suggest altenatives, find them first. Let us know the result, good luck Dennis.http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/edi...38&do=editpost
    Last edited by Dennis; 27-05-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Default Flush Set Stones.

Hi Lilia,
    I have come back for the other part of your question with excerpts from previous replies. Provided your seat fits the stone as perfectly as possible and there is only a minute rim to rub over, you need very little pressure and chipping stones is not a problem, except possibly with emeralds. So peridot or green tourmaline might fit the bill, but be aware that there will be a slight variation in size of any 2.0 mm lot and a few extras might save you some trouble. Also a magnifying head band is advisable.

Here is what I wrote for someone else, and a few pix:
    The problem is to judge the depth of the stone so that it ends up within a whisker of being too shallow. This would give the neatest result. It is easy enough to do on a flat sheet, but on a curved ring there is yet another problem. In rings, made from rectangular strip the stone will end up deeper from side to side than it is lengthwise. In a ring made from round wire the opposite is true. Both these situations, when the stone is set, create more easy and more lumpy parts to deal with and this is where practice and extra tuition come in.
    It is also worth noting that the thicker the pusher within reason, the better the effect, with hardly any tidying up. Mine is made from a 5.0mm diameter steel rod, with a curved and sloping end, but you could also grind and polish a standard bezel pusher, or a hefty nail.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your reply. That ring looks very nice . I use a burnisher which I made myself out of a blunt bur (but the head off and polish the edge to a rounded point). I agree though that the hicker end gives the neatest result, as I found out fom my experience.

I also tried Joias, but they said they have nothing like that in stock at the moment. I rang Ward's again today see if they would custom cut a dark green sapphire for me, but they explained that even if they did (they wouldn't as it is a small and not expensive stone to deal with), the result would still be too light due to the size of the stone (as the light would pass through making the stone appear lightler). I have let the customer know, see what she says tonight. I will try the other companies you suggested.

There are also green garnets, which I have seen at Wards, that would be a good colour when small, so include those in your search. Dennis.

Talking custom order finished

finished at last, this is the ring a needed small dark green sapphires for. I went for Tsavorites and the customer liked them; the lighter green stones are green diamonds. Hurray!

How do I post an image?
    Last edited by lilia; 09-06-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tsavorite-Diamond-Ring-S.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	2979 Hurray it's worked :-)

Very nice - I like the colours of the stones. Congrats.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/