Thread: Precision Tools

Default Precision Tools

Hello Everyone,

Sorry to bother you. Could someone recommend the best tool that I can use to produce cut flush jump rings. I would like to make my own jump rings but not sure what equipment I need to cut them neatly? Thank you

Hi Patty,
    If you want a lot of jump rings, say for chain maille, you would go for a Koil Kutter. You might be able to source it by searching the web.

Obviously this is not economical for small numbers, which is all I ever need so I resort to a saw. I expect other members with more experience in this will join in shortly. In the mean time you could also put Koil Kutter in the forum search box.

Kind regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 12-05-2011 at 07:33 PM.

I have two koil kutters, and regularly cut thousands of jump rings a week, but still far prefer to handcut them with a jeweller's saw (and tend only to use the kutters for non-precious metals). I do mechanise the winding of the coils (cordless screwdriver), but I don't think you can beat the finish of hand cutting - not to mention being able to use the finest possible blades to avoid any distortion in the finished rings.

I only have 2.0 blades - should I use a finer blade for jumprings and if so what size would you suggest for a 1mm wire?

Thanks, S.

Well Susie,

I dont know what George will say, but I would use 4/0 for a smoother cut. What are you making? Dennis.

Just cutting rings at the moment in preparation for having a first go at chainmaille. Used the only drill bit I could find in college to hand-wind the coils and been cutting them up. Actually, the cuts don't look too bad so I'm hoping that they go together quite neatly. Also hoping that they will be suitable size to have a go at the byzantium chain although I'm a bit concerned that the AR will be wrong. And the fact that I have to keep looking up the definition of AR. My father was a maths teacher and i'm afraid I was his greatest failure in that respect :-(

S

Thank you all so much for your help. I will attempt to try both of them, Koil Kutters and hand cutting. Does anyone know where I can purchase a Koil Kutter, brand new or second hand? Thanks again

Patty

I use jump ring maker from Pepe. I love it, you would need to practice though first, to get used to the required speed for cutting - too slow and it wouldn't cut, too fast and it may mangle your wire. I bought mine from the USA several years ago. I only use it when I need to cut a large amount of jump rings.

If you only need a small amount, I would recommend just sawing them with your saw. I agree 4/0 sawblade would be better, but of course depends on how small/thick your jumprings are.

Make sure you lubricate your sawblade well when cutting.

I actually cut my rings with an 8/0 blade, but that does take a bit of practice, and I am a little obsessive about keeping kerf to the absolute minimum.

So, I'd also recommend 4/0 for most people!

Koil Kutters can be bought from Dave Arens in the US, and do occasionally come up second hand. They have the advantage of being usable with an existing dremel, proxxon or foredom. I believe the pepe system (which I know you can get from Suttons and other places here) only works with a foredom.