Thread: where can i find a REALLY TINY FILE?

Question where can i find a REALLY TINY FILE?

can anyone recommend a really really small/ thin file? i really need the smallest one possible but i find the descriptions and pictures on Cookson hard to decipher.
    i already have the set of six needle files 160mm, cut 2 and i accidentally bought a reamer file set(which were actually too small but v good for widening holes)

i was looking at this one, which looks pretty small, but would it be small enough???
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-0735

many many thanks in advance,

tricity b

The smallest files from mainstream suppliers are called escapement files. Jewellers have been known to buy a file and cut it down smaller for a purpose, using a separating disk or a grindstone. This is particularly easy to do to a flat file and you can even grind away the back to make it thinner.

Although not of high quality, model shops, pound shops, market stalls and ironmongers often have cheap sets of needle files with plastic handles which are much smaller than those supplied to jewellers.

Lastly the smallest file of all is simply a saw blade. With a little practice the side of a blade, mounted in its frame, can be used to file away minute amounts of metal.

If you can tell us what you want to do, the members will surely come up with more suggestions. Dennis.

Dennis' answer is very wise. "Small enough" for what? is the real starting point.

One of my favourite files for tight spots is the cut 4 safety-back Vallorbe. It has a smooth back with a slight ridge for some strength and very tight angles at the sides so it can reach into very narrow grooves. It's the best off-the-shelf file I've found for cleaning-up the corners of my woeful piercing.

I'm very fond of these for small tidying jobs: http://www.eternaltools.com/diamond-files-small.htm

I bought a set of really small files from Bead shop Scotland, they come in a variety of shapes and made by beadsmith. I can't post the URL - I don't have enough posts up yet.

Lesley

This is really useful. I had been looking for something to remove resin that had leaked from the main area into a couple of tight outside bends and now have a couple more things to try. Thank you all.

yes thank you all! lots of great ideas. in answer to the question 'how small is small': i am working on a pendant in the shape of a word ('hello' in cursive). it's aprox 2" by 1". so quite small. it looked okayish until i took some photos and realised it looked bloody awful. it's the inside bits that i struggle with- inside the 'l's and 'e'. but hopefully with a lovely new file i will have more success. thanks again.