Thread: Setting a coin.

Default Setting a coin.

I've been asked by a friend to make him a native american indian style beaded bracelet with an indian head silver dollar as the focus and I'm in a design/technique dilemma.

If you guys were doing it, would you:
    A) pierce the coin (its not original, it's a repro) to fit in the 4 leather thongs for holding the coin, which is how they were traditionally done,

B) add hoops to it (I fear this might not be terribly secure and also look a bit crap)

C) make some kind of silver frame to hold it, or

D) hold it in place with leather like this image?

I have got some python skin I could use, but it would mean only having one side of the coin visible, I think, which is a shame, cause both sides look good.

I'm only charging for materials on this, so ideally, as well as making it look good, I don't want to be faffing around for ages.

All ideas, thoughts and advice welcomed.

Well, this is a million miles away from anything I've ever contemplated Liz, but you obviously visualise something with references to traditional design. One thing I am sure of and that is if the coin can possibly fall out it will, so I should certainly want to stitch it in place.

If you know that it is a silver alloy, you could use three or four small silver jumprings, soldered onto the edges with very easy solder using easy flux. If you are uncertain of the alloy and want to avoid melting it, you could soft solder on the jump rings, or even safer, make a very thin minimal bezel with jump rings.

For the cobra, substitute rattlesnake. Regards, Dennis.

It's a million miles from anything I've ever considered as well! I kinda got myself talked into it. it's a sterling dollar, but having held the jump rings to the edges, it just looks really wrong.

Also, I'm not sure how well I'd be able to solder on 8 jumprings all in one go. I suppose the answer would be to start with hard or enamelling and work my way down to easy?

I know he likes the idea of it being stitched into snakeskin (has to be python, cause that's all I have to hand!), but it means that only one side will be visible and it's lovely looking on both sides. Plus I'm really crap at sewing, so would be tempted to also glue it into place for security.

I'm glad he isn't in a rush for this.

Could you rivet the snakeskin together in such a way as to hold the coin in a position where it can be seen through a hole in the middle back and front and then more rivets down each side which you can lace with the leather?

edited to add "tube" rivets are the kind I meant.
    Last edited by Kwant; 10-05-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: clarification

not sure, Kwant. if it's set in leather, then I think the circle opening would have to be stitched in such a way that it were really stiff, maybe even with a wire insert.

I'm really regretting agreeing to this.

maybe make the snakeskin holder out of silver? I could perhaps etch a snakeskin pattern onto the silver? If I had two squares of 0.5mm sheet with circles cut out both sides, I could sandwich the coin, solder the sheets along the edges and then pierce holes for the leather? is that do-able?

I don't see why not, the lentil effect of pinching the edges would presumably keep the coin in place but could be further ensured with little pegs soldered around the coin.
    Last edited by Kwant; 10-05-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: better wording I hope :0)

OK, I'll give this a go, I think...