Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craft Drill or DIY vaiety

Default Craft Drill or DIY vaiety

Hi, I have been using a very small hobby drill for the past year since I started making silver jewelery, but it hasnt enough power to drill holes, so I have been using a DIY drill which is heavy. Can you please advise me if its better to buy a better, bigger hobby drill/multi-tool ( I was looking at the Dremel 4000 with its add-ons and a Black and Decker one also) but although they say on the tin that you can use them for all jobs within reason, I have about £100 to spend and want to know if its better to get a smaller DIY drill now and a separate polisher at a later date or get the bigger hobby drill/multi-tool. The thickest silver I will be drilling is 2mm, but the little one I have now which is a Blackspur wont touch it, so I am a bit dubious about buying another one.

I use a rotacraft drill from Cookson. At first I found it difficult to drill holes but then I purchased good quality drill bits specifically for drilling through metal and now it's like hot knife through butter !

It may depend somewhat on what diameter holes you're drilling. Anything over about 3mm will require a larger drill than the little hobby varieties.

But if you're drilling quite small holes then 2mm silver should offer little resistance and you should be able to use just about anything... provided you use good quality drill bits as Mia pointed out.

Really, really good drill bits are not expensive and a much better investment than a drill. Toolstation for instance, have some nice cobalt bits that are just £1.10 a pair for the 1mm bits.

Hi Patstone,

As a jeweller there are three basic motors you would expect to have in your workshop: A flexshaft at your bench, a vertical mini drill press and a polishing lathe.

The problem with multi-tools is that they will not do each of these functions quite as well and they have to be changed about in the middle of your work.

However with your budget constraints, the Dremel with flex shaft attachment might fit the bill and you could have the optional drill-press stand on your wish list to convert it into a vertical drill or a horizontal mini lathe. Whatever you decide, do take a good look before you part with your money, because realistically any of the items listed above would cost between £150 and £250.

Kind regards, Dennis.

Hi Patstone

I’ve recently been in a similar situation. I ended buying a Foredom from an ebay seller from Israel. Some others on this and/or the other forum have also purchased from the same seller – take a look here: http://www.larsandingrid.co.uk/forum...ghlight=fordom

Here is the link to the ‘Fordom’ on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORDOM-S-R-Fle...item1e5dfbb8f2

I bought a flexishaft, quick change handpiece, diamond burrs and some pliers for just under £150.00 including shipping with no customs charges.

Let us know how you get on.

Indi

Hi Indi
    Thanks for showing me the link for Fordom, however, it is a copy as with the Foredom website the labels on the drills are spelt Foredom and the one in Israel is spelt Fordom - a minor detail I suppose but it does state that you can use Foredom accessories, so I sent the guy in Israel a question asking what the difference is apart from the spelling. The real ones are a lot more expensive of course $350 dollars, so it is about £200 plus postage.

The set from Cousins UK is very good value at £190 and the real thing: Foredom Kit. It includes a super accessory kit and the invaluable quick-release handpiece.

I have bought items from the seller in Israel and the quality of their merchandise is excellent but for the main unit I'd prefer the real deal.

Thanks for pointing that out Joe. I did point to the discussion on the other forum which briefly mentions the Fordom/Foredom difference, but that was not so clear. I wonder if it's easier to advertise all items as 'Fordom' but they have some genuine models in their stock mix? It'd be interesting to hear their reply.

The unit I received was a genuine Foredom motor and handpiece (I'm in doubt regards the foot pedal, despite the wording 'FOREDOM' ) with all the proper American labeling front and back and Foredom branding on the unit. But saying that, I've never seen a genuine Foredom so what would I know?! Perhaps it's just the optimist in me.

I have been using the motor pretty much everyday and it's certainly covered its monetary worth already.

Indi
    Last edited by surfergirl; 05-05-2011 at 05:54 PM.

I got an answer back from Israel to say that he didnt know of the other company.

Thanks for that Dennis, I think I will save some more pennies, and get a Rotacraft one or something a bit better than I was intending to buy. I am doing this jewellery thing as a hobby, and went to my first craft show albeit a little village affair last Monday and sold £85 of stuff of my very own making. How exciting is that, especially as I have only been making silver stuff for a year, and have a sight impediment (basically I have only got one eye which I had a cataract op on 2 years ago, and it got infected so they had to take it out, which makes it a bit difficult to solder etc because you lose the distance vision). Anyway you have to get on with life, so I thought if a properly sighted person could do it, so could I. And I have to say that it was a challenge to say the least but I am getting better now, I can see how the finish on my stuff has improved in the last few months.