Thread: My gold/silver plated wire has short shelf-life - why?

Default My gold/silver plated wire has short shelf-life - why?

Hi,

I'm new to this site. I have been doing beading jewellery for a year now, and have also done some wirework jewellery. Unfortunately many of my wirework pieces become tarnished after a very short time. I buy the wire from the popular beading sites but none of them seem to last. If buying sterling silver or real gold is the only alternative this is very expensive. What do you suggest?

Thanks

Soozg3

Hi there, all you need to do is use a silver cleaning cloth to bring it back, as the small amount of silver plate can still tarnish. I also use this to make some of my jewellery and also when I want to practice a technique before using sterling silver. So just invest in a polishing cloth and your problems will go away.
    Love and light,
    Maggie[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT

If you keep you work in closed bags or boxes, then anti-tarnish tabs will absorb sulphides and prevent tarnish for 8-12 months.They are readily available on-line. However if you aim to sell your workk, then you must think of alternative materials, because customer confidence is important.