Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First attempt at engraving.

That book recommended looks interesting. I haven't done any engraving, but have just won a dremel engraver in the Cookson's Mother's Day competition... I think I need a book to keep it company!

ohhh! congratulations!

I wonder what others think of electric engravers?

Rattle his box and ask :0)

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    ohhh! congratulations!

I wonder what others think of electric engravers?
    Traditional hand engraving produces bright V-shaped grooves in metal, although there are some gravers for other effects. It takes hours of practice on a daily basis to become anywhere near proficient and the trick can be lost again if you don't use it often enough. I once went on a four day engraving course, much of it spent on setting up and sharpening new gravers and nothing like enough time on actually using them. Ten years on I am still useless at even basic hand engraving.

Electric engravers which work by vibration only share the same name. The sharp tungsten carbide tip is rather clumsy to use and will write on metal or resin leaving a trail of microscopic dots. With little practice quite neat signatures and dates can be achieved in lieu of, say a hall mark for work that is not being sold, or on non precious metals, but I doubt that you would find the effect good enough to replace the real thing described above. The strength of vibration can be increased to cope with harder or textured surfaces and diamond tips are provided for use on glass.

In use it is best to handle the electric engraver lightly, like writing with a pen. I find that a quick practice on a piece of waste metal prior to each use, accustoms the hand to the vibrations and slight imbalance of the tool. Of several versions I have tried over time, the Dremel is by far the best, but no engraving manual will have anything relevant to say about it. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 23-04-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Nah - I still have a few, although the sharpener is gone; I've also got an assortment of knife, lozenge, onglette/spitstick and I think there's a few small flats there (but I haven't totted up exactly what is there). For general line work, the square is the go-to tool.

[QUOTE=medusa;42615]OK, Thank you James, I've added it to my amazon basket. I completely agree it's a great skill to have. I'm not quite sure my skills are up to my ambitions. My drawing abilities are good in terms of sketching from life, but that's it and I seldom have time to practice any more, but it would be really good to be able to do simple stuff well. would copper be a good material to practice on?

Copper is ideal for practicing on, I used to use copper plates that were sold in the printing trade, they were sold in 4" x 3" highly polished sheets. I kept a couple of my copper practice plates, they were my first efforts at engraving pictures as I never really enjoyed letter engraving, I engraved the Puma in 1967 and the Pegasus in 1970, back when I was a newly qualified goldsmith. I had completed my six year apprenticeship as a goldsmith in 1967.
    JamesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	133 Puma engraving by Jim1967.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	2915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	134 engraving by Jim1970.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	2914

James,

They look absolutely amazing. I have done a bit on wood with a pyrography tool, but nothing on metal yet. As it was a prize and will get me venturing into uncharted waters, then its got to be worth a go. It is rather at the bottom of the 'to do' list at the moment, with getting keys to a studio on Thursday, and having just opened my first solo exhibition yesterday, life has been a bit hectic recently.

Louise

Sounds like you're having a GREAT, if not busy time Louise - studio, solo exhibition and an electronic engraver prize!!

I hope all goes well!!

Best wishes
    Tabby

Thanks Tabby,
    Yes and to top it all the local paper sent a photographer out today, on Easter Sunday to catch me in action!!

Louise
    www.louisewestlacedesign.co.uk