Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First attempt at engraving.

Default First attempt at engraving.

OK, well engraving is pushing it a bit. more like scratching metal, but it made you look!

I had a request to etch a little trefoil shape on a pebble and it was clear the photocopy resist was not holding up so I yanked it out. my problem was the etch wasn't deep enough, plus there was etching where there shouldn't have been any in the middle bits and the lines were a bit fuzzy.

So I thought maybe I could score it. I embedded it in a big lump of victory brown wax, got a new point in a scorer and set to work. Having the start of the lines was obviously helpful and made up for the fact I was basically using a big pin. I kept moving it around so I was only pushing forwards because I figured I'd have more control that way and I only managed to skid off three times. And that was because I attempted a bit of a curve.

I went over and over, getting deeper and deeper until I felt I could risk taking the whole surface down a bit.

The lines are now a bit cleaner and much deeper though as you can see from the photos there are still some pitting but to the naked eye that is not noticeable. I haven't managed to polish out the worst skid I made and the top triangle on the left is less than great, but on the whole, in the hand, it looks alright. I've shown it to a few people and they said it looked lovely but if the customer isn't happy with it, then I'll redo it because I'm not sure. That said, the fingerprint has come out really well.

things I have learned from this, is that I'd like to have a go at doing it properly (but on copper!) and also that I need to get my eyes seen to and sort some kind of magnification out as well. My eyes had a really hard time doing this and it's brought home to me that there has been a deterioration since they were last tested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1490.jpg   IMG_1489.jpg   IMG_1488.jpg  

I find engraving really difficult and have huge respect for those proficient at it.

I would really suggest getting a small round scorper and having a go! I find the round edge is much more forgiving than the other tools and cuts sterling easily. It's great for a whole range of little tasks like adding the odd line, raising small beads, cleaning up and adding texture.

Oh tell me! have you seen Katia's work?

I would have got a much better effect with the right tools but I was desperate. The gal has just emailed and said she thinks it's beautiful, though, so hopefully I won't have to re-do it. It does look a lot better in reality than in the photos.

I'm adding the scorper to my basket. What are the best kinds of handle to use? should i get one of each to find which one 'fits' my habd best?

Lovely piece! I admire anyone who can engrave!

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    What are the best kinds of handle to use? should i get one of each to find which one 'fits' my habd best?
    I am certain there will be differences of opinion there! I like the pear-shaped ones but the spheres are small and neat and comfortable in the palm of a small hand.

Quote Originally Posted by silver70 View Post
    Lovely piece! I admire anyone who can engrave!
    hahaha! so do I!

I notice that cookies are having a sale on some of their gravers... maybe I should buy a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I am certain there will be differences of opinion there! I like the pear-shaped ones but the spheres are small and neat and comfortable in the palm of a small hand.
    hmmmm... I have small hands as well, so they may be better...

Hi Liz,
    If you buy yourself a graver and perhaps a book about engraving. You need to know how to sharpen the graver correctly, I can recommend "Engraving on Precious Metals" by A. Brittain,S.Wolpert and P.Morton. My grandfather was an engraver and he taught me his skills and gave me this book. I can let you know some good practice ideas if you are interested. Amazon stock the book; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engraving-Pr...3573940&sr=1-1
    Some engraving skills are a large plus in this business.
    James

Peter posted this thread a short while back which has two links about gravers which you might find interesting. http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/cla...sharpener.html

OK, Thank you James, I've added it to my amazon basket. I completely agree it's a great skill to have. I'm not quite sure my skills are up to my ambitions. My drawing abilities are good in terms of sketching from life, but that's it and I seldom have time to practice any more, but it would be really good to be able to do simple stuff well. would copper be a good material to practice on?

Kwant, I've seen both the thread and the links, really useful. I'm assuming it's so long ago, the gravers and sharpener have all gone.