Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hallmarking preservation?

Me too. I commented along the lines that it protects the consumer. I also feel proud that I have my own hallmark. It would be interesting to know if the consumers in countries that don't have hallmarking (e.g. USA?) are fooled more often into buying fake 'silver' and what the comeback is, if any, on sellers of such goods?

Sadly, my guess would be that "925" , etc...is enough for most folk, unless you have a close interest, switched on 'value for money', or are thinking of long term investment, I'm not sure how clued up most people are....maybe more so with gold than silver?......just think the rules are difficult enough for those of us who very are interested.......

That said, I've commented along similar lines Nicci...protects the cosumer, identifiable source, sense of history......

I saw about it on twitter first and immediately posted for hallmarking.
    NOW they want to do away with it? When metal prices are through the roof and there's even more incentive for fraudsters to do their work? This is certifiable!

Why All The Fuss ?

The Government can’t abolish the assay offices. All it can do is rescind the law which makes it mandatory to hallmark precious metals if sold as such.
    Most makers will be only too anxious to go on hallmarking their work on a voluntary basis, so as to validate the metal used and improve the resale value. Very large companies , so as to save on fees, might invite you to trust in their marque, but I doubt that the public would be convinced.

I have followed this thread for weeks, but can someone explain the fuss? After all the loss of mandatory status might even bring the cost of hallmarking down. Dennis.

You have a greater faith in the public's understanding of hallmarking than me Dennis. Also it is liable to create a situation where some makers will exploit the lack of a legal requirement of a hallmark in order to undercut others on price, particularly at shows.