Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking preservation?

Default Hallmarking preservation?

I hope pretty much everyone has seen this -

http://www.redtapechallenge.cabineto...k/hallmarking/

In a nutshell, the suggestion is that the hallmarking legislation be rationalised or removed altogether in the interest of removing red tape. Comments are invited.

Personally, I'd far sooner the laws were kept - they're part & parcel of the history of the craft after all, and guarantee to our customers that what they're getting really is what it claims to be...

I wonder who benefits from the removal of this "red tape"? It doesn't improve the export market... easing costs on domestic producers & retailers is a zero sum (reduction in costs for uk manufacturers balances loss of business in UK assay businesses)... the only winners are importers selling to UK buyers... and those selling fake goods!

I suppose the price of gold will fall if there's less need of it in 'goldish' jewellery.

That's my general feeling - cui bono? Trading standards would, but consumers won't.

There's at least one moderately big name already seems to feel pretty safe ignoring the hallmarking legislation as it is - stuff stamped only 925 that is *way* over the 7.78g mark, no hallmarking council chart on display - and they're at all the major equestrian shows.

I find the fact that the comments are moderated interesting.

(next bit nothing to do with jewellery at all)

when they had the consultation for ways to reduce public spending, the treasury website hosted countless comments along the lines of using disbled people as crash test dummies, testing drugs on them or giving them a one way ticket to switzerland. All comments of which come under hate crime legislation. the other 'red tape challenge' on premises already has someone complaining about having to provide wheelchair access and there are only 19 replies. Be interesting to see if there are any more comments along the lines of disabled people not needing to go anywhere like the last time.

[/rant]

Default Hallmarking preservation

I would urge anyone in the industry to add their comments to this http://bit.ly/hFpBcG
    It is so important to our heritage and to all jewellers, particuarly small businesses. If there is no guarantee as to what a precious metal is made of customers won't buy from small jewellers, only from large businesses who are well known - alot of whom get their work made abroad. Support small British business and our heritage. This is an age old British tradition that sets us apart.

Well, someone has to gain. Pocket test kits would become essential gear. The public might even want designer test kits. Things could turn nasty in your high street jewellers.

Its a totally absurd idea - hallmarking is the only safeguard consumers have - remove that and all sorts of cr*p from the far east will be sold as gold and silver to unsuspecting buyers. Plus as crafters, there will be no way we can compete with this fake stuff as we will be supplying the genuine article but wont be able to prove it - you can already see loads of this rubbish on Ebay - allegedly "sterling silver" rings for £2.99 - I couldnt even get the silver to make a ring for £2.99 - yet another example of meddling into things that dont need fixing.

It is a crazy idea, and certainly not one to benefit the jewellers or consumers of quality items. The only people to benefit are from the cheap imports, which seem to be flooding all areas of sales. I want to protect this tradition and retain the quality and have entered my comments on the relevant page. Why on earth mess with such a system when there are many more pressing areas in the country that need sorting out? They need to get priorities right before messing about with this.

http://www.redtapechallenge.cabineto...k/hallmarking/

So - has everyone who has commented here, viewed this post on the forum or received an email from their own assay office done the right thing and added their name and comment to the list?

It can become very much like Donor Card adverts, where everyone says it is a good idea to carry one but then only a tiny percentage actually go and get one. Perhaps it's a good time to do both now if you haven't done one or other of them. (http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/h...me_a_donor.jsp)

Yes I had the email from the Assay office, and immediately put my comments on it, I feel very strongly about it.