Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting solder

Default Cutting solder

Hey there,

I'm new to the forum and I've been doing classes since janurary as well so complete beginner. I got a very early (and amazingly awesome) birthday present of the soldering kit which I've alread had a little go with and it is great to able to do some sodlering outside of my classes. I did have one issue, my little cutters couldn't cut the hard solder and I resorted to using my pirecing saw, not the easiest method. I've seen a few different tools for cutting solder about but I've only used snips before which I'm not amazingly profcient with, so I wondered what do people recommed for cutting hard solder strip?

I have snips too - and the advice to me was to hammer the hard solder strip so it is thinner. That's an on going learning process for me - managed to get the end of the strip a bit thinner, but also really annoyed the neighbour with the noise!

I want a rolling mill as that's (apparently) the best way to make the strip thinner.

Once the strip is thinner my snips work on it.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

I wouldn't have thought of that at all! Just assumed there was a reason it is so thick, I've not got my own hammer etc yet but considering saving for that next :P I'm slightly put off the snips after giving myself a huge blood blister with them but I suppose they are useful for cutting other things too. I do have a lot of trouble with bits of solder pinging away from me and being lost for ever.

Use a blob of blu-tac to catch the solder or cup your hand round the snips.

Hi kathrin,
    You do need to thin the solder, either with a rolling mill or by hammering on a steel block. It can be any old steel hammer provided it is cleaned up and to deaden the noise a folded blanket helps. James Miller has recommended that you do the long cuts with a fine saw and the cross cuts with snips. Heavy old scissors work too and are less inclined to pinch.

For tools look around in pound shops and bargain stores such as Aldi and Liddl, but never buy anything you dont need for the project in hand, or you will build up a tool junk yard.

If you can join a class you will have the opportunity to try out various tools, roll down your solder and learn much faster. kind regards, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by DGFerguson View Post
    Use a blob of blu-tac to catch the solder or cup your hand round the snips.
    I might be having a little monday uselessness here but do you just stick the blue tack over the end of the solder then cut through it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi kathrin,
    You do need to thin the solder, either with a rolling mill or by hammering on a steel block. It can be any old steel hammer provided it is cleaned up and to deaden the noise a folded blanket helps. James Miller has recommended that you do the long cuts with a fine saw and the cross cuts with snips. Heavy old scissors work too and are less inclined to pinch.

For tools look around in pound shops and bargain stores such as Aldi and Liddl, but never buy anything you dont need for the project in hand, or you will build up a tool junk yard.

If you can join a class you will have the opportunity to try out various tools, roll down your solder and learn much faster. kind regards, Dennis.
    I am going to classes so I might take my solder in and hammer it out on the steel block there. I've only been getting tools that I use in the class so I can do more at home really, but have gone off the snips since I've not really managed to master them.

Has anyone tried the solder cutters cookson sell? Or should I persevere with snips?

Hi Kathryn,
    I use shears for cutting solder like these; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-658
    As Dennis said you can thin down the end of a strip of solder with either rolling mills or a hammer, then make sure you clean both sides of the solder with an abrasive paper.Then using a fine saw blade pierce length wise down the strip of solder for about half an inch, if the strip is hard solder then I would cut two or three cuts down the strip,depending on what size pallions I require, then using my shears I cut across the pierced end of the solder while holding the solder strip over a plastic box to collect the cut off solder pallions, I have tiny lidded plastic boxes, one for each grade of solder as I also use gold solders. I only use Hard and Easy silver solders on my work and I only use a Borax cone for fluxing.
    James

Quote: Has anyone tried the solder cutters Cookson sell?

I first mentioned those solder cutting pliers on the forum in my post ‘Footloose in Hatton Garden’, saying ‘They only clip one paillion at a time, but they bring out the closet ticket inspector in me’.

This was meant to be funny, but it caused a run on them at Cooksons and they were out of stock for a while.

They cut beautiful pallions, even from thick strip, but are rather slow if you want say ten bits. By the way, if you want to save the left overs, you can colour code your solder strip using waterproof pens. This burns away and does not interfere with soldering. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-04-2011 at 08:29 PM.

As one of those that followed Dennis' advice and contributed to the Cookson's selling out of them, I highly recommend those pliers.

You can clip the strip and sheet without thinning it because you can clip-off tiny paillons; if you hold them flat on the bench or soldering block, the paillons drop into the 'box' formed under the cutter so you don't have to handle them at all (or hunt for them elsewhere).

I use mine every day but... they are a one-use tool and James' advice will save you money and help develop your piercing skills all in one...