Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! Tarnish problems

Default Help!!! Tarnish problems

Hi, Looking for some advice. I have fine Sterling Silver box chains that have tarnished in the sun. I have detarnished them with various methods. Nobleclean, concentrated jewellery cleaner, ultrasonic bath. They clean up but tarnish again within days. I bought the Silverbrite unit hoping that would solve my problems but they are still tarnishing within days regardless.

Please help me, I'm frustrated with these chains, I'd love to scrap them but we are talking about 40 or so chains.

Frances

I've just started (finally!) using anti-tarnish tabs to help things - however, I think that part of the problem I've had is the box I've been storing pieces in - I suspect it is offgassing, probably from adhesives and that is contributing to the problem. You say they're tarnishing in the sun, but how are they being displayed?

BTW - a piece of aluminium foil, a spoonful of washing soda (sodium carbonate) and hot water make a pretty effective tarnish-removing bath for silver. Especially for chains - just leave them in the solution for a while.

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply. The chains have been displayed in glass cabinets which have seen some sun hitting them. Detarnishing and repolishing them isn't much of a problem but the fact that they are re-tarnishing within days of going back on display. I know of the washing soda trick and have used that too. The anti-tarnish tabs are great for storage but not so good for display.

:-(

What's in there with them that could be affecting things?

The V&A has an interesting article on the process - and what they do to avoid it - here; while I appreciate the lacquer idea might not be ideal, their suggestions on other inhibitors might stave things off for a wee while?

I've used the Goddard's Long-Term polish before now; it does seem to slow things down on objects on display, but they aren't in full sun, so it may not be quite as applicable.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 12-04-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Renaissance Wax might be another possibility for protecting the surface.

Thanks again peter, I'll give the Renaissance Wax a try. The only things in the cabinets are my jewellery and it's not everything that it's happening to. Grrrr.

looking at the V&A link Peter posted, it says about water contributing to it, so maybe you could put a small tray or sachet of silica gel in the cabinet?

Yeah, I did think about the sachet of silica gel, I'll do that as well......................... I don't want these chains back, if I do they are going straight to scrap

you could have a bed of it in the bottom of the cabinet. make a virtue of it for decorative quality.

the funny thing is, I try like mad to get a lot of my chains tarnished cause I don't like the shiny new look!

Wanna swap??? only kidding. Thanks for the suggestion I already find that the bottom self is a waste of space and that would make use of it.