Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Art Clay earrings & sterling silver post

Give the surface of the metal clay a really good burnish before you start - it helps compact the silver before soldering. With metal clay, it's worth neutralising in a solution of bicarb after pickling to be sure there's none left in the piece. As Kwant says, though, you can often get away without pickling at all.

I usually notch my earwires with a pair of slightly modified round nosed pliers. You need to use far less pressure than you might think as you are looking to just create a tiny groove without weakening a fairly thin piece of wire.

Even after burnishing, it will still soak up solder like a sponge, I usually use two or three times what the job looks like it will need...

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie De Castro Pugh View Post
    Even after burnishing, it will still soak up solder like a sponge, I usually use two or three times what the job looks like it will need...
    Sweat soldering, no more soaking up.
    If you melt a small blob of solder onto the end of the ear post first, Then put it in place and re-melt, you will succeed without the solder vanishing. However you will need a little extra flux for the second stage. Dennis.

Thanks very much to you all, I'll give it a go although I think I may buy the earpins from cooksons, I hadn't realised they were so cheap and making them does look a bit complicated!

Cheers, Charlotte