Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stone setting

Oops - forgot last Wednesday's update; started setting 5 in a row. 3.75mm stones, 3.9mm centre to centre on the bearings. The stones are all in, with 4 grains apiece, and I've started cutting the surround for them; tomorrow I should finish it, raising some additional grains between the stones. The cutting's only rough at the moment, so I'll hold off on the photos at the moment.

such lovely work... I envy you Peter

I've been really lucky to find this course - Tom's tuition is very clear.

Last night's efforts: Finished off the 5 in a row, raised grains 5 & 6 around the adjacent stones and finished the bright cutting. I've started cutting a channel setting for 5 square stones now; the middle stone's bearing is done, the adjacent 2 are getting there - I'll probably complete them over the course of next week. We've started discussing possible projects; I want to do some more pavé work, looking at clusters in particular, but I might make a traditional cluster ring - possibly something like the one here.

Pictures soon...!

An update: Worked on the channel setting some more last night - it's almost done, all the stones are in but I want to make sure they're properly secure before moving onto bright cutting them. I've got a triangle of 6 bearings mostly cut for doing a pavé cluster, just needs a little tweaking; we spent some time going over the various options for grain layout & cutting for this style of thing. We covered a method of doing a Roman setting with gravers that I haven't seen described anywhere else - haven't done it, but I'll definitely have a crack at it.

As for these pictures... I've just ordered a macro lens, which should be with me in about a week; I shall have a play with that to sort them when it arrives!

You've got our tongues hanging out for pics. Mine's too dry to lick a stamp.
    Dennis.

I know, I'm sorry - I've not been satisfied with the focus on the microscope and my usual lens won't focus close enough to pick out any detail.

At last!

In order:

Exercise 1: 4 individual stones set in copper:

Exercise 1 again, but in gilding metal:

Exercise 2: 5 stones in a row:

Exercise 3: Channel setting:

It has to be said, the channel setting ended up as a pigs ear - I overcut the end at the LHS, didn't secure the last 2 stones enough so had to reopen the setting to get them back in again, chipped the centre stone (only noticed that in the photo!) and couldn't get the last 2 to sit tight up against their neighbours. So I'll be redoing that one - I know what went wrong, so shan't make the same mistakes again.

Ah, the good old 4 photo limit...

A preferable view of the channel setting, and the start of a cluster - only the corner stones have grains raised so far.

If anyone desperately wants to see the high res versions, they're all at http://www.flickr.com/photos/8878704...7627052007710/ - but do remember that these stones are 4mm across max!

(and yes, I have a new lens )

Thanks for showing the pics of your work - I love the cluster in your latest pic!

Well, your our pavé exprt now, Peter. What happens if you slip and cut off a grain like I would?

Dennis.