Thread: Spinner ring using household props!

Post Spinner ring using household props!

Hi all
    Just wondering if like me, once you get something in your head you go to any length to bring it into existence? having recently seen a spinner ring I became obsessed with making one despite the lack of a sinusoidal stake and tools to make! - funds not allowing just now either
    - so anyway after broken nights dreaming about the darn thing I scoured the house seaching for an alternative tool with the resultant ring.....sleeping bit better now

Fay

.. not totally satisfied though, want to make some more now!..anyone know where I can get a cheap sinusoidal stake?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3170502.jpg   P3170494.jpg   P3170497.jpg   P3170504.jpg   P3170500.jpg  

Ha very clever, I can just see you scouring the house for the right shape. Well done, nice ring too.

Love it! Took me a moment to work out what you were using... I like the use of the twisted wire for the centre too.

How cheap's cheap? If you want *really* cheap (apart from the time), grab a piece of hardwood and saw & file the curves in yourself. Next level up in cost are ones like mine - I've not seen any cheaper I'm afraid.

Have you got a doming block and punches? You can make the anticlastic shape of these rings by placing the ring on one of the domed punches and gently hammering the top to flare out the bottom, a bit like a giant rivet, turn it over and do the other edge. Repeat the process until you have flared it to your liking.

very clever!
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Quinn View Post
    Have you got a doming block and punches? You can make the anticlastic shape of these rings by placing the ring on one of the domed punches and gently hammering the top to flare out the bottom, a bit like a giant rivet, turn it over and do the other edge. Repeat the process until you have flared it to your liking.
    Lisa why did I not think of that??...doh! gonna have to try that now! thanks

Good point - I tend to forget about that method. Probably something about everything looking like a nail when you have a hammer... You can also work wide rings over doming punches for synclastic forms.

Fay,
    You're a true obsessive, like many of us here, but you put your sleepless interludes to good use and the result speaks for itself. When youve wrecked your rolling pin, bent all you kitchen knives and chipped your pestle and mortar, someone might get the message and fund a few tools.
    In the mean time, happy bashing, Dennis.

lol even the cat has started running for cover when he sees that gleam in my eye!
    thanks guys
    off to cornwall tomorrow for a well earned break
    Fay x