Thread: Torches!!! Pheonix Vs Sievert

Default Torches!!! Pheonix Vs Sievert

Hi, I have used a Pheonix gas & O2 torch for many years which I find a pleasure to use. It gives a lot of control over the flame, but I am getting increasingly fed up with the charges attached to the O2 bottle.
    So, has anybody switched from a Pheonix torch to a Sievert and how do they compare? Your experience and advice would be very welcome as I am thinking of investing in a Sievert setup.

Thanx

I used a Phoenix torch for many years, then I moved on to using an early type of Little Torch. I also have a Sievert system which is OK for large torching jobs on a forge, but it is really too large a torch for benchwork soldering on small jewelery items. I rent my Oxy cylinder on a five year basis which works out approx £1 per week.
    James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 07-04-2011 at 07:12 AM.

I cannot help but agree with James, I use a little oxy gas set up and the flame is eminently controllable with a nice light hand piece, whereas the Sievert I have is unwieldy and too big for that which I do, but you are right the O2 does seem to come at a price. I would not know where to look here in France for a rental system such as James has.

Thanx for the input, I figured that the Sievert would be clumsy to use given it's size but would it not be possible to achieve a good soldering flame for small items using the smaller jets/nozzles available for the unit? I really dont want to have to shell out a chunk of cash or commit to a bottle rental scheme @ the mo as times are pretty tough. Just a thought, would it be possible to use a small quiet compressor with the pheonix torch as an alternative to the O2 supply, would this work? probably a silly question but hey

There are other ways of using a torch, I spent the first 8 years of my career using a blowpipe and a Birmingham sidelight and also mouth blown torches, we used a foot operated bellows blown torch on our forge. Then I moved on to an electric blower for my bench torches and finally onto oxy/gas torches in the late 1960s. A compressor would probably work with the Pheonix but make sure that you use one with a storage tank as those without usually give a pulse air effect, which is not good for blowing torches. I even have an old Flamefast pen torch that the air is blown through the torch by a tiny fish tank airator/blower, not great for large jobs but ideal for wirework. I think that having a mouth blown pipe is a useful addition to any jeweler's tool kit. See;http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-CB2

James

Hey James, well I ain't got the lungs for a blowpipe so I'll give that one a miss
    I've decided to stick with the propane / o2, started an account with BOC so I'm up & running again. I got a wee bit carried away and purchased a Smiths little torch from a certain auction site that we all know quite well lol. It's a great torch for detailed work & was a bargain at £54 with free postage, less than half the price that they usually retail at! It came from Hong Kong and arrived in a few days so I'm well pleased

Kim

Hi Kim,
    I am sure that you will love using the Little Torch. I have found the torch very useful for most jobs and have managed some quite large soldering jobs with mine.
    Have you joined the other sites of UK jewellers yet, if not please do as most who write on this forum also write on the others, as you can pick up useful info from them, I have written a couple of tutorials on the GOJD site.
    http://www.guildofjewellerydesigners.co.uk/
    http://www.larsandingrid.co.uk/forum/
    James

Hey James,

Thanx for the links, I have bookmarked them so will take a look later this evening

The little torch is getting more appealing the more I get used to using it but it is awkward finding somewhere to place it on the bench, thinking maybe I should buy the magnetic stand now lol

Kim