Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give to me some critic

Default Give to me some critic

Many my ideas comes from what I see. Is this too clumsy?What You Think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg   3.jpg   1.jpg  

It's difficult to tell the scale without it being modelled - static, it doesn't look too clumsy to me, but it would be better to see it in situ.

I'm trying to work out if I like the leaves meeting in opposition (like a wreath), or if I'd prefer them all in the same direction, like ivy... I'd personally go for putting a small amount of veining in with a narrow punch, but that's just my preference.

I would agree with Peter, the leaves need some veining to give them life. I did a short photo tutorial about how I shape a leaf on the GOJD site, take a look.
    http://www.guildofjewellerydesigners.co.uk/ and do a search for "Making a Metal Leaf"
    James

I keep meaning to ask you James - what do you use as a barrier between your lead blocks & the work when you're punching?

Peter, I usually don't use anything between the work and the lead block, I have three lead blocks and I keep re melting them so that they stay fresh. The trouble with lead blocks usually starts when a block is used too much and the surface starts flaking, but I find that regular re melting keeps the surface of mine soft and usable.
    I always clean any items with my scratch brush before any annealing though, just in case I miss any possible lead flakes on the job as we all know what happens when you anneal a job with lead on it.

Thank You for Your input Peter and James. I appreciate Your opinions. In same time I see that my finger was again faster than my brain. For future works I must do couple of punches,hammers and engravers because I belive that way I can find my tools soul.
    James, I raise my hat for You. I read Your interview from Gojd site too. Can I give You an tiny seed to think as You are talented in photography also. Maybe You can make some video tutorials. I know that videos cant ever teach so much as Master by Your side but it can help.

I'm not sure that reticulation works with the leaf. I think that leaves (like branches and shoots) tend to embody order (fixed patterns of veins; regular curves) in contrast with say bark and soil and the overall flow of leaves on a tree. Also as Peter noted, the meeting of the leaves suggests two branches joining in opposition.

But I really like the way these two things provoke a reaction - this sort of movement from convention is exciting could work amazingly well in other forms!

Default More about leaves.

A low skill method of making realistic creases in leaves after reticulation, is to place a small knife accurately and hit the back with a hammer. I use a watch opening knife and lay my metal on a thick piece of rubber(as used for shoe Repairs). regards, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    A low skill method of making realistic creases in leaves after reticulation, is to place a small knife accurately and hit the back with a hammer. I use a watch opening knife and lay my metal on a thick piece of rubber(as used for shoe Repairs). regards, Dennis.
    I don't think there's anything 'low-skill' about those Dennis ;-)
    Di x

Reticulation technic intrest me a bit. What do You think, is it possible to control how reticulations occur with edge of Your flame and soldering pick?.

To better design in my sample bracelet maybe its better to create carved little birds between opposite direction leaves. The path is always going to somewhere?. Now its remind more some kind Roman victory head wrap