Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Bought A Round Collet Plate (but there were no instructions).

Just want to say thank you to Dennis for posting this how to (a very long time ago!). I have just bought a collet plate and this was very helpful in my first experiment with it last night.

I think I need to buy some screw mandrels to hold it in place as trying to work on a tiny collet is quite hard but for my first attempt I'm not too discouraged. I made a few mistakes - main one was that I didn't allow enough tube length, but I'll try again and hopefully get better.

Now to go and play with my new doming set

Kermit...that's a name from the past. I hope you are well.

As you will have gathered the waste generated when the tube goes in too far, can be reduced by sitting the tube on the surface to start with.

Due to fiddling with my Forum settings, I accidentally deleted the accompanying pictures, so here they are restored, Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Collet Set With New Collet.jpg   Collet With Screw Mandrel.jpg   Collet On Screw Mandrel.jpg   Collet Ring with tapered collet.jpg  

Do you buy the mandrel with a screw top or do you have to make it. Also how do you know what size screw to use.

Morning Pat,

No there is only one size and you buy them as standard: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AET

Regards, Dennis.

Hello Dennis,
    I have a collet plate that I have only used once unsuccessfully I hasten to add. I also have a screw top mandrel but only use it for sandpaper discs. When you said you form the conical shape on top, do you mean not in the former, as in on the desk, then when the right size just use the former to perfect the shape. I wouldnt know what size tube to use either, so your previous post was helpful too. I dont set faceted stones very often as I cant seem to get the basket the right size or whatever you call it, I can however set flush, so tend to use smaller stones and do it that way. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the pictures Dennis - very helpful I'm going to have another go and see how far I get this time!

Yes, I have been absent for a while - I do try to read as much as possible even if not posting. In the last 3 years I've moved house, got divorced, moved house again, new partner, two deaths in the close family and my son being bitten by a dog and having to have surgery!! As a result I haven't been doing as much jewellery as I would have liked! But, new house has a space for a new jewellery bench (about to be built by my OH) so I'm really looking forward to increasing the amount I'm doing.

Thanks for reposting those images Dennis, I've found them very useful too.

Nick

I've been trying to work out this Collet plate again, but not worked it out as yet.

I've attached a couple of images so you can see where I have got too.

Dennis - what is confusing me most is that it is not the same shape as in your photo's. Yours has a section of parallel tube and then the cone????

Would appreciate any suggestions.

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails collet1.jpg   collet2.jpg  

Hi Kermit,

That is because the tube used was longer than the tapered section of the collet block, therefore the excess tube gets pushed down beyond the taper. It is the tapered part that you need to be concerned with. I've attached a few pictures of some tapered collets 'in progress'....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140609_183633.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	7277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140609_183519.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	7278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1672.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	7276

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I've been trying to work out this Collet plate again, but not worked it out as yet.
    I've attached a couple of images so you can see where I have got too.
    Dennis - what is confusing me most is that it is not the same shape as in your photo's. Yours has a section of parallel tube and then the cone????
    Would appreciate any suggestions.
    thanks
    Yes I think yours has the tapered shape going right to the bottom, so avoiding the tubular waste. That's good, but how to vary the technique would be a matter of experiment.

At a guess, I would begin by driving the tube in until it was just through the other side and file it flush.Then sit it on a steel block before inserting the tapered punch.

How big a tube to start with? Maybe half the maximum diameter and the whole depth of the plate. Go on until you are satisfied with the result. Dennis.