Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instruction manuals

Default Instruction manuals

One of the complaints I hear fairly often from other people who haven't gone through an apprenticeship is that a lot of the tools around sold don't come with instructions - the assumption presumably being that if you know to buy it, you must know how to use it... There are some exceptions - Durston rolling mills, Foredom pendant motors and similar, but many of the tools don't.

Additionally, some tools really ought to be modified before use - traditional ring clamps are one example; they seem to be varnished all over, which means that the wedge to lock them has little friction; I like to scuff the varnished surface with sandpaper so it stays in place better.

Anyway... I thought it might be fun to try and collate some requests for instructions, and see about working through them. What do people think?

Couldn't agree more Peter.

heh, What I would like is a chart showing the abrasives I have and their fineness or even what they are ideally used for. I have a vast collection that fit onto mandrels for my flex shaft and half the time I can't figure out what grade is which and so on because they are all similar colours. Exception being these lovely ceramic/silicone disks. I wish they did them in points!

Top idea!!

Can I nominate oxy/fuel torches?

Pendant attachments would be a whole book!! (actually, it would be a book I'd buy...)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Pendant attachments would be a whole book!! (actually, it would be a book I'd buy...)
    To my knowledge there's only karen Christians 'Making The Most Of Your Flexshaft', but I doubt you would learn anything from it Joe.

I am preparing a piece about round collet blocks, to follow on from last Mondays topic. Any one trying these for the first time is likely to build up their scrap pile.

Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    To my knowledge there's only karen Christians 'Making The Most Of Your Flexshaft', but I doubt you would learn anything from it Joe.
    I have to agree. I have it somewhere and I found it quite disappointing. In fairness though, there's such a variety of 3/32" bits for flexshafts that collating all of them would be a Sisyphean task, but I had hoped for a little more in the way of useful tips & tricks. I don't recall my favourite safety tip being in it - cut down the shafts of screw mandrels & similar; with less sticking out from the chuck, there's slightly less of a problem if the mandrel gets bent in use.

Oxy/fuel I can't do much with - I've used larger oxy/acetylene torches, but none of the smaller ones. It does appeal, but I'd probably look at a concentrator rather than bottled O2 for convenience. I'd have thought the main things there were the same as the big ones - the dangers of O2; gas on, light, air on/air off, gas off for starting & stopping.

Abrasive colours... Argh. Yes, they're all different; I've got Eveflex, Cratex (who do points, by the way - as do Eveflex), grey pumice wheels and so on; I keep them in storage boxes with a slip of paper with the key written on; for some of them, I've written on the wheel what grade they are. Doesn't work so well with the black Eveflex discs however.

Beginners would be eternally grateful. I bought a hobby drill from Cooksons which came with a multitude of attachments - none of which I have the slightest clue as to function !

Exactly Peter - simple gas sequences that work and are safe. (I'm a little-torch + oxycon convert btw).

I would just love a collation of all the different manufacturers pendant attachments: ID photo; name; order code; equivalent grit size; link to hints and tips (... Hmmm sounds like an SQL task...) wonder if someone could persuade 3M and a couple of others to pay for such...? Would make a brilliant mini-cookbook for Cookies!

I like your organisation Peter... feels too late for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Exactly Peter - simple gas sequences that work and are safe. (I'm a little-torch + oxycon convert btw).

I would just love a collation of all the different manufacturers pendant attachments: ID photo; name; order code; equivalent grit size; link to hints and tips (... Hmmm sounds like an SQL task...) wonder if someone could persuade 3M and a couple of others to pay for such...? Would make a brilliant mini-cookbook for Cookies!

I like your organisation Peter... feels too late for me!

Hear! Hear!!

Safe storage & use of gases, chemicals, etc.. Don't start me on pendant attachments and I am currently struggling with a ring stretcher :-S
    I love a good puzzle, but some of these tools are unfathomable!!

When I bought my little hobbydrill set, a bargain because the carry case was cracked, I couldn't believe there were NO instructions, all those bits just sat there.....

Yes Peter, a fantastic idea!!

Default Ring Stretcher.

Dear Jill,
    I am presuming you bought a ring stretcher which you operate with a lever. If so you can routinely make your rings a size too small and then adjust them until you reach your target.This will also round them without all that bashing on a triblet.
    I wrote this post a while ago, about the upright ring stretrcher, but can't get the URL to work, so am putting it here as an attatchment and hope it is of some help. I also wrote two other posts about rings: 'Not Easy As PI' and 'One Size Fits All', which you should find by searching 'threads by Dennis'. Have a good weekend.
    Last edited by Dennis; 01-04-2011 at 10:58 PM.