Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kilns!!

Default Kilns!!

Hi I am just strting out on a tight budget and could really do with some advice about kilns! I am searching ebay for second hand bargains, but am getting bamboozled with soo many different types etc! There seem to be quite a few second hand UHLIG U5 and new R711 mini muffle kilns with out temp controllers out there - are either an good? Do I need a temp controller - if not how do I know when to start timing the length of the firing? I have also just stumbled accross an ultra lite bee hive kiln? Grateful for any advice!

I depends what you want the kiln for, if you are enameling then it is good to be able to see whats going on inside. Don't know about PMC as I have never used the stuff, nor ever would.
    James

If you're looking at second-hand kilns, then remember that the elements corrode with use (more aggressive environments and opening the kiln at heat accelerate this); also, the insulating firebricks seem to crack sooner or later. They still work, but make sure they aren't crucial for the structure of the kiln... You can sort-of repair broken firebricks, but I've not been all that impressed by the results.

I use a digitally controlled heat-treat kiln, so my requirements aren't the same as, for example, an enameller - and it's huge for anyone wanting to do PMC, yet a bit small for most glass work. What are you looking to do?

if you are doing PMC I thing you can either do it on a gas stove or get one of those mini kilns which heat up with a butane torch.

and James! are we a bit sniffy about PMC?

Medusa,
    I have nothing against people using PMC, but my customers would have dropped me like a stone if I had ever used it on my work. If I ever see Asprey, Garrard, Cartier or Kutchinsky offering PMC goods for sale, I will be shocked.
    James

If anyone is interested, I have a Flamefast propane gas fired kiln for sale, it has only been used about twenty times and is still in it's original box as it has been stored away for the past 15 years.
    James

I bought a second hand UHLIG kiln recently, without temperature controller, and have been using it for enamelling. It was a bit hit and miss at first but I seem to have got the hang of it now. If I know I'm not going to be using it for 10 minutes in between firings, I switch it off for 5. This seems to keep it pretty stable.

I did look at a controller, as I'd also like to try PMC (hopefully that will be ok as is) and some glass fusing (almost certainly wouldn't be). But they cost more than the kiln did... I might change my mind though if I end up melting something.

Hello All - Thank you for your comments - guess I should have said - Yes PMC is the chosen medium - Sorry James!! So, to controll or not to controll is the question! I know I can use a torch - but am a bit nervous about this as I have heard the end result is not as strong as if you kiln. I also do lots of ceramic work and wet clay work, so the kiln is a familier concept for me (my garage is going to be sooo tasty with 2 kilns in there!) - just don't know if I have to heat in ramps or hold at particular temps for a set duration with PMC and if I do - how to do it without a controller!
    Hope you can help!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Medusa,
    I have nothing against people using PMC, but my customers would have dropped me like a stone if I had ever used it on my work. If I ever see Asprey, Garrard, Cartier or Kutchinsky offering PMC goods for sale, I will be shocked.
    James
    I'm teasing you.

I do a bit of PMC for my fingerprint rolls, (can't see any other way to do them) and do it in my friend's enamelling kiln. as long as you keep an eye on the temp, it's pretty straightforward. If you don't have a thermostat, then you really do need to be able to see them so you can whip 'em out quick before they melt.

melting? melting?!!! Oh no this is sounding dreadfully worrying!! Think I may need to save my pennies and invest in one with a controller - I am so used to pressing 'start' and it all happening automatically and switching off after the soak time with my clay and pots, this all sounds a bit technical to me! How can you tell it is cooked when you are watching it?