Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: raku glaze

Default raku glaze

Hi All,

I've not done any silver clay work yet. Most of my jewellery so far is in traditional metal working techniques. I've booked onto a silver clay class in a few weeks, and decided to get a book from the library to read first. It was one by Tim McCreight, and included a "50 projects" section.

One of the projects involved making a silver clay bead, firing it, dipping in a raku glaze for ceramics, firing again to melt the glaze, and then using the standard raku techniques of cooling in sawdust or similar.

It looked amazing, and this is something I am interested in trying... has anyone done it? I've done some searches, and only found one other website discussing doing this, again, for silver clay.

My main question is - does it need to be silver clay? Surely, since the steps involved firing the bead first before glazing, it is then just fine silver, so any silver piece could be treated in the same way?

Interested in hearing any experiences people have had with this!

Does anyone know how raku glazes differ from enamel? I've done raku firing of ceramics once, but didn't really pay too much attention to the glazes.

Don't know Fay, but what was the tile of Tim McCreight's book please? The trouble with books I find, is that you can't ask them questions.
    Kind regards, Dennis.

Very true Dennis! I love having access to a university library for a great range of jewellery books, but sometimes a quick word is worth so much more.

I don't have the book here, but pretty sure it was "Precious Metal Clay Techniques".

I've found some interesting stuff about raku firing of enamel while I've been looking into this, so I'm tempted to just give that a go at some point as a start... might buy a fire extinguisher first.

The raku glaze pictures in that book were very intruiging though.

Actually, tell a lie, the book was "Working with precious metal clay".

Aha, I could tell by your face. Actually, I'll have to give it a miss as I don't fancy 50 projects in clay. Maybe Murano Silver, or Miz George will chip in with an answer for you if we keep this thread simmering. Can you simmer a thread? Dennis.

Hi Fay, I have that book and the same project took my eye, something I must try out one day. Like you I did a raku course that only lasted one day as the teacher had a bad back. I will get back into raku one day though, I was looking at making raku beads on youtube last week. if done a bit of raku on copper enamels too.
    I think he is using raku glaze for ceramics, I can tell you the little I know about glazes, overglaze enamel and copper enamels, basically they are similar but not the same. I would imagine that they all have different coefficient of expansion which could cause cracking and crazing if they are not compatible with the body they are applied to. Raku glaze must be fairly robust tho when you think of the treatment a raku pot goes through.
    Oh now you have me wanting to order some raku glazes, and I've too much to get on with just now.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on.
    You can buy raku glazes from Bath Potters , not that expensive
    http://www.bathpotters.co.uk/searchr...-0-0-0-0-0-0/1

Thanks for that, it's very helpful - you are right, the glazes aren't that expensive, so well worth a bit of experimenting, I think...!

I'll come back and post the results when I've finished.

This is wandering slightly off topic really, I have wanted to make some raku beads for a while. I need to make a frame to hang them from, the one I saw was made from steel angle brackets but all i can find are galvanised. Does anyone know where I might buy some, or is it possible for me to make something from steel myself? I'm hoping Peter and Dennis might have some suggestions
    thanks

Hi Jill,
    I have a workshop full of useful bits and pieces, let me know what you need or send me a sketch with sizes and I will see what I can come up with.
    James

Thanks James I have e-mailed you
    Last edited by jille; 31-03-2011 at 10:03 AM.