Thread: annealing castings?

Default annealing castings?

is it possible to anneal cast silver? or am I just having an episode of wishful thinking?

At the risk of being shouted down, I would say that it has just cooled from molten so, until it is worked by beating, rolling, or stretching, further heating might not do much for it. What are you aiming for, Liz?

eh, it's just an idea to make a few fancyish components to add to my collars. If I have them so they are shaped to fit then it's easier but my understanding is that castings are really brittle, so putting a curve on them might make them snap. I've just had a nightmare remodelling a ring which I now believe was cast (and badly... but that's another story).

wouldn't go there Liz, have worked with some castings, not nice to pierce at all or shape, just does not behave like sheet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    wouldn't go there Liz, have worked with some castings, not nice to pierce at all or shape, just does not behave like sheet.....
    I was afeard you'd say that. I have managed to gently bend castings when I've been enamelling them, but it's always been so fractional. I just wondered if they got to annealing temp it might somehow re-jig the molecules so they were less like a casting and more like... well not sure what!