Thread: Replacing a bezel set stone.

Default Replacing a bezel set stone.

Is there a way to replace bezel set stone without replacing the bezel? Or should I bite the bullet an saw the old bezel of? The old stone is a garnet an she wants it replacing with an amethyst the same size.

J

It is possible to undo the bezel for a largish cabochon, by inserting the blade of a pointy craft knife between bezel and stone. Go quite slowly and deliberately so as to do the least damage possible. Once free of the bezel, the stone can be pulled out with very sticky tape, such as is used for fixing things to walls. This saves opening the bezel too much.

As the other option is to destroy it you have nothing to loose anyway. Finding a new stone of the same size is another matter. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    As the other option is to destroy it you have nothing to loose anyway. Finding a new stone of the same size is another matter. Dennis.
    Untill today I regretted how much stone I had, after ten year of buying an selling I have hundreds of odds and ends, but today I have been able to match a maquis garnet for a ring had let a stone, found some ovel garnets with the same fire as another ring so we can make a new item and add stones, and have the same size anathyst as another ring. For once my collection has shown its true value.

I think you ar right. I have a old graver, with a little care I think I could turn it into a reverse burnisher. And the bottom line is make a new bezel if it does not work.

Thanks

J

Denis,

You are a genius, I eased it with a graver then a small amount of pressure fom behind an out it popped. No scatches under the microscope. Cleaned the ring glass pencil and ultrasound. Polish (rouge and mop). In the morning I'll set it. Just wish I had taken before pictures.

J