Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: hallmarking - making the sponsors mark..

I wounded what kwant's P&P cost are like in comparison

J

I have the bill in front of me Julian and p&p was £13.02 inc vat for international signed for post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    I have the bill in front of me Julian and p&p was £13.02 inc vat for international signed for post.
    That's not too bad, I guess you, and I will, need to send in multiple items the spread the costs

J

I'm toying with the idea of registering and getting my own makers mark. I don't make loads, mainly cos silver is so expensive, but I m being asked to make more to order. My situation means money is tight but at the same time when I make stuff I want the recognition lol. So my question is is it worth it, or am I being daft and should just accept a not mine hallmark?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by wheely View Post
    I'm toying with the idea of registering and getting my own makers mark. I don't make loads, mainly cos silver is so expensive, but I m being asked to make more to order. My situation means money is tight but at the same time when I make stuff I want the recognition lol. So my question is is it worth it, or am I being daft and should just accept a not mine hallmark?
    a makers mark is so satifying. It works out at about £7 per year given that is has to be re-registered every ten years. I say £7 as it cost me £70 to set mine up. I love being able to sell something (and like you I don't make much, but mostly due to my day job) but I, like others who have their mark am very proud that it remains there until it is either recycled into the scrap of the future or kept as a potential family keepsake for many, many years. Very gratifying - it will be here when I am not and although not a know artist, my registered mark on an item means someone who may be interested could find out it was me who made it. Oooops, best widen that door afore I leave. lol

And on top of all that, you're allowed to call it by its proper name. What would you prefer to buy for say £25: white metal, or sterling silver?

I got my first batch back from the assay office last week and was thrilled to see my mark on my stuff, I took a close up photo and showed it to all my friends and family :0)

Hahahaha I did exactly the same when I got mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    I got my first batch back from the assay office last week and was thrilled to see my mark on my stuff, I took a close up photo and showed it to all my friends and family :0)

and me!!.....

Mee next soon I hope, I think that's the point, Remember even Rembrandt was an artist not a businessman !

I used to call my self a gemstone dealer, now I think of my self as an artisan jeweler. I guess I have lived in Amsterdam too long!

J
    Last edited by Julian; 26-05-2012 at 09:00 PM.