Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: hallmarking - making the sponsors mark..

Hannah,
    It is OK to make items from precious metals and present them as gifts without Hallmarking. The Hallmarking rules do state that their rules apply to trade and business in precious metals, so if you or the recipient are not offering your bangles for sale then Hallmarking is not a legallity.
    My daughter has loads of silver jewellery that I have made for her over the years and none of it is Hallmarked, each piece just has my makers mark stamped on them.
    Finally it is possible to get items assayed and Hallmarked without having a registered makers mark, for a small charge you just get the assay mark and the mark of the assay office.
    James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 29-03-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Finally it is possible to get items assayed and Hallmarked without having a registered makers mark, for a small charge you just get the assay mark and the mark of the assay office.
    James
    that's worth knowing. I tend to try and have stuff knocking around so if I get an order I can send it in with 9 other things to be hallmarked. I'm not sure if I actually am saving money that way, but paying a tenner + for one item does my head in.

Cookson offer a hallmarking service. I cannot link you to the page as it seems not to have a URL, but it is easy to find the info. Go to the Cookson main page and click the knowledge base thing at the top then type in Hallmarking in the search field and you will get the page an the prices and how to etc.
    Last edited by Kwant; 29-03-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: missed out a "p"

not sure if this URL will work:

http://portalgc.knowledgebase.net/di...1&docid=111871

useful for people to know this.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    that's worth knowing. I tend to try and have stuff knocking around so if I get an order I can send it in with 9 other things to be hallmarked. I'm not sure if I actually am saving money that way, but paying a tenner + for one item does my head in.
    I keep meaning to cobble together a spreadsheet using AOL's prices to calculate the break-even point on their minimum charges. Any interest?

if you make it idiot-proof, yes!

Well, at least I'll be in a unique position to be able to test it myself then

I agree with Joe, your maker's mark and the hallmark makes it look "special"!
    Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Well, at least I'll be in a unique position to be able to test it myself then
    I'm being serious. I'm very numbers challenged.

Hi.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Its a present for my mother I'm just short of time to send them to get them hallmarked...
    I suppose I could present them to her and then get them hallmarked afterwards?
    HannahMary Jewellery
    Website