Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: hallmarking - making the sponsors mark..

Liz is right, you only get to choose frames for your initials, but in my case my first choice and initials had already been taken. I suppose you could call the result a monogram of sorts.

Hi I've also got a question since I'm new to hallmarking in the uk. Anybody know how it works when you're foreign? I know the rules in Holland but I don't know yet how it works here. In Holland if your work is under a certain weight it doesn't need to get stamped, is that the same here? You're allowed to make your own 'master' stamp as your pesonal stamp they just have to approve of the design, make sure its readable and there's nothing similar. Do you have to have certain qualifications to apply to the assay office?

Sorry for all the questions, hope you can help me.

Marlies

anyone, british or not can register at an assay office as a maker and get the sponsor's mark. as long as you are human, nationality or qualifications don't matter. Hell, they took me!

If something is silver and under 7.7(?) grammes, then it doesn't need to be hallmarked, anything over and it does. For gold the amount is much smaller, but I'm not sure what.

I don't think you can make your own master stamp, it has to be initials within a cartouche. you get the choice of cartouche as long as it doesn't clash with someone else's. But if the one you already use is basically initials within a cartouche, then maybe they will accept it? worth asking, cause they cost a small fortune.

Dennis, I'm curious about your maker's mark now!

Quote Originally Posted by marlies View Post
    Hi I've also got a question since I'm new to hallmarking in the uk. Anybody know how it works when you're foreign? I know the rules in Holland but I don't know yet how it works here. In Holland if your work is under a certain weight it doesn't need to get stamped, is that the same here? You're allowed to make your own 'master' stamp as your pesonal stamp they just have to approve of the design, make sure its readable and there's nothing similar. Do you have to have certain qualifications to apply to the assay office?

Sorry for all the questions, hope you can help me.

Marlies
    Hi Marlies

You can register at any assay office you like (but they're all independant so you'll only be registered with one) - as you are in Colchester this is your closest one if you want to be able to drop things in by hand http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/assay...e/hallmarking/

Everything you need to know should be here but if you have any questions you can give them a call and they are very helpful

thanks, I had a look at the website and its all clear to me now!

Quote: Dennis, I'm curious about your maker's mark now!

Nothing special, Liz, just a rectangle with arrow shapes pointing outwards at top and bottom centre. Then my initials inside. D.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Quote: Dennis, I'm curious about your maker's mark now!

Nothing special, Liz, just a rectangle with arrow shapes pointing outwards at top and bottom centre. Then my initials inside. D.
    that sounds cool. I wish I had one like that!

Hi Guys... I also have a hallmark related question.

I have made some bangles, they are over 7.7g i believe. But they are a gift from me.
    Do they still legally need to be hallmarked?

Hannah x
    HannahMary Jewellery
    Website

The acts says that you aren't allowed to "supply" something you describe as silver in the course of a trade or business.

"Gift" would still be supply, but is it in the course of your trade or business (gift to a good customer or supplier; free element of a bulk purchase; prize in a competition...)? And do you need to describe it as silver?

I suppose the problem I see is that the recipient won't be able to pass the item on to anyone else as silver as it would ordinarily have been hallmarked; it sort of loses its intrinsic value but not its value as a piece of jewellery.

I'd hallmark 'em - your maker's mark adds to the personalised value and it doesn't cost much!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I'd hallmark 'em - your maker's mark adds to the personalised value and it doesn't cost much!
    unless you have to register for that one thing in which case you'll end up paying nearly £200 for the hallmark. and even if you are registered, the minimum is £10 (plus VAT?).