Thread: other materials: copper, bronze, gilt, PERSPEX?

Default other materials: copper, bronze, gilt, PERSPEX?

anyone have any experience of using any of these? what do you use to solder with if you are using copper for example?
    where can i buy perspex sheet, and what is it like to cut/ file etc?

Hi Tricity, I have mixed copper and silver and have just used normal silver solder to make the joins I have not used bronze or gilding metal. As for perspex have a look at this thread which Dennis started a week or so ago http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/tut...ky-wicket.html. MUTR supply acrylic sheet and rod.

Thank you Quant. A number of clear resins are referred to as acrylic, but they vary in their hardness and how sticky they are to cut. They all scratch really easily and have to be protected with adhesive tape, or sheet unless you intend to give them a frosted finish.

If I only want a small amount I usually cannibalise clear clip boards from Muji or Ryman. There are also lots of usefully shaped blocks from display companies such as Lynco. For larger pieces I have gone to the 4D Model shop.

The cleanest way to glue it is with two part clear epoxy such as Devcon, but the bond is not very strong. The strongest bond is with Plastic Weld, found in model shops, using a brush or a syringe. This acts as a solvent, which evaporates within seconds, but runs everywhere, leaving a milky trail. So all in all I find it is best cold connected, for instance with screws. There are acrylic suppliers who will make items such as boxes for you, but I don't know how they join them. Regards, Dennis.

thanks very much for your advice Dennis and Quant. Messages received and taken on board.