Thread: Strengthening Silver Clay Charms

Question Strengthening Silver Clay Charms

Hi Everyone

I need some advice on art clay please. I've been making some art clay fingerprint charms for friends which is fine but those who have added them to a bracelet and get a lot more general day to day knocking are already looking worn after a couple of months. I've hand polished and burnished after firing but was wondering if anyone has any other tips to strengthen the charm so that is doesn't scratch so easily please. Is there anything I could coat the charm in maybe?

Thanks

Silver clay pieces will, by their nature, always be significantly more vulnerable to wear and tear than sterling, and mixing them into a sterling bracelet will only make this worse.

I can't give any advice on how to improve them, other than having them engraved or etched onto sterling rather than clay.

I read a tutorial which suggested that you fire the clay for the same time as the standard type, even if it's the low fire variety, and that the longer firing will make it more durable.
    Lorraine

George has said it all really. This is why fine silver (which is what you get with clay) is not used much for jewellery except in bezels. Even for that professionals prefer sterling.

Alan at Geti Titanium does a fabulous job with lazers if you can provide the blanks. Dennis.

I have a couple of fingerprint pebbles that I made out of PMC and they do wear out so fast, but that is partly because I was constantly rubbing my fingers over them. As far as the scratches etc goes, I kind of like them. they add a nice quality I think.