Thread: Toggle clasp coming loose?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Toggle clasp coming loose?

Hi there,

I've been selling bracelets through a local boutique and recently had one returned because the customer said it kept falling off her wrist and seemed to think it was the fault of the toggle clasp I'd fitted. Out of the 45 or so bracelets I've sold, I've had this happen twice and I can't think what the exact problem is. In both cases the wearers wrist was very thin. I measure all my items to the standard adult width of approx 7.5 inches. I can't imagine the toggle bar coming out of the loop unless it was inserted incorrectly. If the bracelet was slipping off the persons wrist, over their hand (and still fastened) that would make more sense to me but apparenty that's not the case. I tested the bracelet vigorously and it stayed intact so I can't see any need to replace the toggle. I could either shorten the length of the bracelet (keeping the original toggle) or keep the length and replace the toggle with a lobster clasp (potentially ruining the look of the piece as the toggle was more ornate). What do you think? Has this happened to anyone else?

I could only think that the bracelet is too loose on the wrist. In which case there would be a lot of room for the toggle to get undone. Another thing could be is that the bar part is too short for the ring part. Or may be both together.

When you have a customer complaint, turn it to your advantage by making this a stress free experience for them. The good will creates confidence and more orders.

1. If they want a refund, then give it with an apology and a smile.
    2. If they want to keep their bracelet, then change the toggle bar for a longer one. You might also have to lengthen its connecting bar or chain. An extra 3-4mm on the bar should do it. The ends of the toggle bar could have rings to keep it centred in use.

It is uncertain whether just shortening the bracelet would be effective and it's not a good idea to get it wrong twice.

Once you have this problem sorted the new length will become your standard out of self-defence. This is the learning curve. Kind regards, Dennis.

I think 7.5 is on the large size for a standard, but I generally design all bracelets that are not commissioned to a specific size to include an adjustable element in the fastening. However, I think it sounds more like the length of the toggle bar as Lilia and Dennis suggest. What ratio between the bar and hole have you used?

The toggle is 14mm wide and the bar is 17mm long

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll swap out the toggle for another one, just to be on the safe side and I'll most likely take out a link as it sounds like the length is basically too big for her

"It is uncertain whether just shortening the bracelet would be effective and it's not a good idea to get it wrong twice."

This has been my dilemma as I never met the customer so can't say for sure what the best option would be.

What is the size of the toggle's hole? As a general rule you need the bar to be at least twice the length of the inner diameter, and even a little more, especially with lighter weight components. At that size, I can't imagine it weighs very much at all, which makes it more vulnerable.