Thread: Real Ginkgo Leaf Brooch

Default Real Ginkgo Leaf Brooch

Hi,

A new brooch from me. Ginkgo seems quite popular:

Real Ginkgo Leaf Brooch - Copper
    Brooch Size:
    Heigh 8cm
    Width 10.5cm

The Ginkgo leaf has been electroformed in copper, preserving this unique leaf forever. The copper was given a high polish and a lacquer coating.

There are many ways to wear it depending on fashion tastes. It could be worn the other way up for example. We only have 1 piece until they start sprouting again for spring.

Ginkgo leaf fossils related to modern Ginkgo date back to 270 million years.

For over 4,000 years the Ginkgo has been known in China as a healing tree. Ginkgo symbolises wisdom, longevity, and strength. It's a symbol of hope and love.

Quite difficult to plate because of the detailing and edging of the leaf. I am really happy with the final outcome though.

20 Km out side Mareeba in Far Nth Queensland

Nice leaf, well done.

oooh that is lovely! do you do them in silver as well?

the Netherlands in the summer, Spain in the winter

Waauw, I like this brooch. I wonder, did you use a mold or a natural formed leve for it?

Hi,

We need to invest some more cash in materials to get them in silver. This is planned for the future and I am really looking forward to it.

There is no mold. Its a real leaf. Copper is plated onto the leaf and takes the shape of the leaf. The longer the plating time, the thicker the piece becomes. They are all as solid as any other brooch.

It's fun stuff. Are you using graphite or a paint to make the leaf surface conductive? And what sort of thickness of copper are you laying down?

Gingko leaves are something I keep meaning to try carving - I've seen some fantastic stuff by Jim Kelso along those lines.

Hi Peter,
    I haven't used graphite as yet. I am using copper conductive paint. I would like to use silver conductive paint but the price is quite high. I am not sure of the exact thickness being laid down. I didn't calculate the deposition rate for this one. Most of the time I judge by eye rather than plating hours. So If it is still a bit flimsy and week, it goes back in again. Because it deposits a very pure copper, its actually very tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborvita View Post
    Hi,

We need to invest some more cash in materials to get them in silver. This is planned for the future and I am really looking forward to it.

There is no mold. Its a real leaf. Copper is plated onto the leaf and takes the shape of the leaf. The longer the plating time, the thicker the piece becomes. They are all as solid as any other brooch.
    I'm having a huge lust on them. I wonder if I could do it with seaweed?

I can't see why not. The other thing I wondered about with your seaweed is how feasible would it be to work up a longish wax of either a direct cast or a slightly stylised version of your chosen plant. So long as you aren't trying to use laminaria digitata it shouldn't be too bad?

If you are looking for a silver one, you can paint a real leaf with art clay or PMC paste, fire and the leaf will disintegrate leaving the silver leaf.