Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real Ginkgo Leaf Brooch

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I can't see why not. The other thing I wondered about with your seaweed is how feasible would it be to work up a longish wax of either a direct cast or a slightly stylised version of your chosen plant. So long as you aren't trying to use laminaria digitata it shouldn't be too bad?
    ahhhh! I think I tried using that for a cuff. if it's the stuff I'm thinking of you get an amazing texture, but it's almost impossible getting wax on it to make it castable. I haven't thought of making a direct mould from it. it tends to be very brittle when it's dried out plus i have to stitch it together.

What do you mean by 'a long wax'?

It's a fairly sizable kelp - not much of a texture, large stipe. Good eating though.

I was wondering if you could make an RTV mould from a 1' length - possibly even with the seaweed still hydrated (as opposed to dripping wet), then take sections of wax as needed for your bangles. It might be more cooperative, but I'm not sure how well the wax would stay fluid enough over that length during injection.

OK you guys, whats wrong with making leaves out of sheet metals, learn some skills and you can make leaves in a short time just by using a piercing saw, a hammer and a block of lead, some files, and some texturing wheels or punches, I did a photo tutorial on the other website GOJD, and spent just 20 minutes making a leaf from copper sheet. I have been making flowers in gold for the past 40 years.
    James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	134 Six flower sheet 2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	2798Click image for larger version. 

Name:	133 Six flower sheet 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	2800
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 108-White Chrysanths Nikon digital A.jpg  

This gives a whole new meaning to the term 'Flower Arranging'. I'm afraid I can never resist shaking them to see whether the water is real.
    We are jolly lucky to have you on the forum to put our efforts into perspective. Dennis