Thread: Resin Pigments / Colour

Default Resin Pigments / Colour

Hi,

I bought a resin kit from Hobbycraft called Crystal Resin, I was initially looking to use it clear but I've had some other ideas and now looking to use it with colours. Can anyone recommend or comment on these: http://www.cooksongold.com/Enamellin...rcode-860-033B

Also if I wanted a solid or milky colour what pigments/colour could I use?

Thanks
    Belinda

Take a look here for more information about the chemset resins. I use them and like them.

www.cjresins.co.uk

You won't be able to mix these with the kit you've already got though.

Thank you for posting that George, as I've been havering about using resins for a while. Now I'll spend some time looking at that site.
    Kind regards, Dennis.

I dithered for a long time too Dennis - but far too many of my pieces are unsuitable for vitreous enamel and resin seemed like the best answer. I did a two day workshop with Clare John last summer, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I now use them pretty regularly, and have yet to have any major problems.

plique a jour earrings by mizgeorge, on Flickr

commission cufflinks by mizgeorge, on Flickr

copper inlay ring1 by mizgeorge, on Flickr

They look great, George.
    The resins I tried at college are nasty and yellow, they dry sticky and need a lot of finishing. Just need to think up some designs now.

Thanks for that link George, will look at that now. Your jewellery is lovely, the cufflinks are stunning!

Thanks
    Belinda

I've not used those epoxy colours from cookson.

I have used the clear Crystal Resin from hobbycraft, however, and have coloured it using lots of different things - mainly glass paint, dye, ink, emulsion paint, and eyeshadow powder. I tried a type of ink once that didn't work and left a sticky mess.

But on the whole I've found it pretty flexible in terms of the stuff you can add to colour it - just a case of experimenting and finding out what works. The key thing is just to add a tiny bit of colour, and see if you need more. Too much and it will never set.

There are two ranges of glass paint that hobbycraft do - one is water based, and one is solvent based, and I can't remember which is which. But one gives a nice even colour, and the other is more transparent and leaves little flakes of colour unmixed, which is good or bad depending on your desired effect. Both are available in a huge range of colours.