Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning jump rings

Default Cleaning jump rings

Hi,

What is the best (and easiest to clean off) lubricant to use when cutting jump rings (using Koil Kutter and jeweller's saw)?

Also, a tumbler question:

What's the best way to clean the stainless steel shot and tumbler barrel after tumbling?

Regards,

Vi

1) tumbler and barrelbrite / barrelling compound
    2) if you use barrelbrite / barrelling compound you don't need to do any more than rinse and replace the water.

(both of these assume you're using bur life or wax type lubricant)

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    1) tumbler and barrelbrite / barrelling compound
    2) if you use barrelbrite / barrelling compound you don't need to do any more than rinse and replace the water.

(both of these assume you're using bur life or wax type lubricant)
    Hi George,

Many thanks for the info.

I tried cutting using olive oil on the coil, and then I tried beeswax.

I got my tumbler from PMC Studio, Amersham, Bucks and it came with 500g of 'Tumbler Soap', but even after 2 hours tumbling the rings are still feel/look greasy.

Regards,

Vi

Hmm. I use bur life, half a teaspoon of barrelbrite or barrelling compound, and I have absolutely spotless rings in 15 minutes. Are you using a LOT of beeswax?

Not sure what else to suggest other than trying a different barrelling medium. There's still jut time to get some barrelbrite on freepost!

Thanks for the info.

I've ordered some BarrelBrite and will give that a go.

I also ordered some more Koil Kutter blades from Dave Arens and asked him what he used, and he said that he always uses washing-up liquid as a lubricant!

Regards,

Vi

A lot of the guys in the US use washing up liquid - but it needs to be absolutely additive free (no fragrance, no bleach substitutes, no antibac). It's easier to just use the right thing imo!

Smile

I'm about to contact Dave to order one of his koil kutters so this is a really useful thread to me. If you have to use a lubricant would an ultrasonic cleaner be ok to use to get some of the gunk off? I bought one over a year ago and have never really used it.

Fi
    Fi Wilson
    Flickr

Dave's customer service is incredible. I ordered some blades yesterday (Sunday) at 7.25pm and he replied to my email at 8.02pm with the customs form number and US post tracking info!

One thing I have learned is to clean/de-grease my jump rings/jewellery BEFORE putting them in the tumbler. I've spent nearly a whole day cleaning up my stainless steel shot and barrel after it got contaminated with black crud (mixture of metal bits and wax/oil). This 'contamination' can occur with ultrasonic cleaners as well, I'm told.

I've now (hopefully) got a 'clean' barrel and shot and in future will be using BarrelBrite Plus in the barrel and Bur Life on my coils/jeweller's saw.

Whilst trying to get myself out of this mess, I did find a good article called 'Tumbler Barrel Contamination & Tumbler Tarnish' here.

Regards,

Vi

Vi, I don't know where you are, but I recall some people having problems like this because of their tap water. I live in an exceptionally hard water area, and have never, ever, had any thing like this happen. This evening, I've cut several thousand rings, thrown them straight in the tumbler (liberally coated in bur life), tumbled for less than an hour and they are immaculate. No grease, no crud, nothing.

You are using stainless steel shot aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Vi, I don't know where you are, but I recall some people having problems like this because of their tap water. I live in an exceptionally hard water area, and have never, ever, had any thing like this happen. This evening, I've cut several thousand rings, thrown them straight in the tumbler (liberally coated in bur life), tumbled for less than an hour and they are immaculate. No grease, no crud, nothing.

You are using stainless steel shot aren't you?
    Hi George,

I live in a hard water area as well, but I think this has been my fault due to ignorance, I'm afraid.

I used the Koil Kutter with olive oil on the coil as a lubricant, as this was one of the choices suggested in Dave's instruction leaflet. However, I think I may have overdid it and put too much on, worrying that I'd ruin the blade, if I didn't put enough on. Then I threw them in the tumbler still covered in oil.. and the tumbler soap couldn't handle it!

I kept using oil/beeswax on subsequent coils and the crud just got worse because I hadn't degreased the barrel and shot in between cutting sessions.

Thankfully, I have learnt my lesson. I shall now only use Bur Life which is much easier to clean up compared to beeswax or olive oil, and as a further precaution, I shall wash my rings before throwing them in the barrel.

Vi