Thread: Plain/sprung pliers

Talking Plain/sprung pliers

Hi Guys

I'm wanting to purchase some pliers and I've realised that there are plain and sprung pliers. Just wondered if anyone can say what the difference/benefit are to either types.

Sorry this may be a really dub question.

Thanks

Curly Clare x
    Clare

Dear Clare,

What you buy is rather personal. With non sprug pliers you use your middle finger to open them. With sprung pliers they open themselves. Personally I am well used to opening them with my middle finger, so I either avoid the springs or pull/break them off. However, springs cost you, so it's a waste of money.

You might have to try both to make up your mind

Kind regards, dennis.

Thanks for replying Dennis

That's really useful info, I'm thinking that I might go for plain pliers.

Best wishes Clare
    Clare

Hi Clare, You will have a much greater choice by buying plain pliers, after 50 years working in this trade I have never thought of buying sprung pliers. If you are starting a pliers kit, buy the best and they will last you a lifetime. I would suggest that you check out some Maun parallel pliers also as they are very useful, I have two pairs a flat nose pair and a snipe nose pair, just Google the name Maun Parallel Pliers if you want to see them.
    Regards, James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 25-02-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Maun parallel pliers are great. I also love the Lindstrom sprung pliers. As said, you probably need to try both types to see what you prefer.

Re Pliers.
    In case your question is just the tip of an iceberg, here are some more ideas on the subject.
    1. Only buy pliers that you need for the project in hand, or you will start an expensive tools graveyard.
    2. As James says, it is worth buying from a reputable source such as Cookson, or Walshes, even if you can only afford student quality.
    3. The basic set might include: Snipe nosed (pointy/ flat), Flat (straight/ Flat), Round (round/ round)and Ring Bending (Dshaped/flat). For occasional tweaking without scarring the metal, one or both beaks of ring bending pliers can be covered with a piece of well-fitting clear polythene tubing from the ironmongers.
    4. You will also need some cutters, either ‘side’ or ‘end’. Personally I favour ‘side’, but the best cutters can be seriously damaged by thick or hard wire, even binding wire. So you could also do with some rougher wire cutters from an ironmonger. If your budget permits some Maun cutters (a marque mentioned by James above)will tackle most things, even barbed wire. Dennis.

Cool Pliers

Hi Clare

After 40 years of putting my poor hands under all kinds of pressure i would strongly recommend sprung pliers, I teach my students to protect their hands as much as possible, use wooden clamps, sprung pliers, hand vices anything that's going to prevent you getting ostioarthritus in your fingers like I have.

Below is the result of using my index fingers to part the pliers, you might notice they both curl with a flat centre where the pliers touch, and the other pic is how I use non sprung pliers.

Carlton
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pliers and fingers.jpg   fingers.jpg  
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true