Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cook Book - Your Opinion Counts

Lightbulb The Cook Book - Your Opinion Counts

Good afternoon all,

I know the vast majority of you are aware of the Cook Book, so I was hoping to start an open debate today on the forum in a bid to capture some much valued views and opinions from you guys, the people who use it! We plan on using any suggestions/recommendations made to help shape the redesign of the NEW up and coming Cook Book.

I'd be very interested in finding out how you feel about the Cook Book in general??? Do you like the Cook Book? Is it useful to you personally? Is it easy to use or poorly layed out? How and why do you use it, if at all? What do you like about it and how would YOU CHANGE it??? In addition comments regarding information, pricing, photography, product descriptions, the format, shape, size, it's integration with the website and anything else you would like to raise. This is the time to bring it to our attention! All suggestions welcome....

Please note this discussion has already commenced on our facebook fan page so please feel free the comment there instead and check out how it is going.

All feedback will be much appreciated and used as an important tool in the redesign of the NEW Cook Book.

Thanks in advance

I have to admit that I tend to use the website for finding everthing now and only use the Cook Book if I go into the trade counter

I couldn't manage without it - it's my bible and have a copy near at hand all the time! And because the website is so difficult to negotiate, unless you know exactly what you want, I always refer to the Cook Book first

I love it, I often mark the pages with the things I buy regularly, such as various chains, as I can never remember exactly which one I particularly like when I need them again. Also there are so many findings, that I struggle to search for them, if I don't know the exact title of what I want, and the cookbook is great to browse through when you know there was something else you really NEED to add to the order but can't for the life of me remember what it was... just flicking through usually jogs the memory enough.
    It makes ordering on line so much easier.

I find it very useful - the website is so distracting with so many offers, windows & so on. While its interesting to know what other people buy in relation to something you are selecting it does take you off course, so I use the Cook Book to clarify what I want first, then try to stay on track online. If only there was a way to make it less weighty- maybe split it into metals & findings, with a separate volume for everything else.

The search engine you use for the site is very good, but you haven't got a concept of sections and hierarchy like you get in the Cookbook and other sites (like Rio).

Even at Rio, their catalog seems to show hundred of products that are hard to find on the site.

Specifically... you must gather data on online orders as distinct from telephone or counter sales...

How would it be if you could identify from your online sales, products that are normally bought over the counter or by telephone rather than online and make sure you highlight those to your online buyers - we might be missing something?

You already tell us about new lines in booklets that you pop into our deliveries... how about reminding us about lines that are, for some reason, performing less well - even perhaps that you're thinking of dropping? It may be that the newer arrivals in the profession haven't seem those things or that the move to online has hidden them somehow.

Oh yes... and if your buyers identify an improvement in the quality of things being bought in... mention it to us! Even just as a list. Price is king, but if we've decided not to buy something on a quality issue, a couple of pages of the cookbook might change minds...

The Cook Book is a valuable resource for jewellers, as much so as any text book. Many questions can be answered just by browsing it and new unfamiliar products discovered for the first time.

I should like to see more technical data such as optimal temperatures for fluxes , nickel content of alloys, advice on annealing and soldering and other hints and tips.

There should also be a more rigorous vetting of products (unsatisfactory disc cutters come to mind) and a keen pricing policy. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    ...you haven't got a concept of sections and hierarchy like you get in the Cookbook and other sites (like Rio).
    That's certainly one thing that keeps me reaching for the Cookbook in preference to searching - on both findings (when I use them) and tools, I find it easier to pick over the dead tree version than the website. Wire, sheet and other bullion I'm less bothered by - the technical data is useful and as with Dennis, I'd love to see it expanded.

I had wondered about tips on using tools, but given the wide range of customers, some of them could seem somewhat trivial - or even patronising.

Default Cook Book

I have one after purchasing a large order, and it is pretty weighty to be sure, however I still like the feel of flicking through pages. Also as a student it allows me to look for items that may be required for material boards and also allows me to consider costings. I recently located an old cook book that one of the tutors had, due to retirement he cleared his office and I grabbed it for reference due to all the technical data and line drawings of findings. (When I need to draw first and design second these will be extremely useful)

As has been previously mentioned I think it may be useful for sections of the cook book to be made available for those who do not need everything in one volume or even a student version with notable facts and figures for anyone just starting out be it with bullion or plated/enamelled wire, clays, beads or anyone wishing to know about gemstones.