Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bead Setting tutorials?

Default Bead Setting tutorials?

Hi all

I'm quite new to stone setting having done very little so far, and bead setting is something i want to practice.

Sorry if i've overlooked a thread already on this topic, but i was wondering if anyone can recommend any good books which explain this type of setting well, or video tutorials worth investing in? I've had a look on Youtube and such for an idea, but most are hard to follow with not really being able to see what's going on closely enough.
    I've found a few written "how to's" online also, but it would be nice to have images with it to see if i'm following them correctly!

Thank you!

Bead Setting Diamonds With Pave Applications by Robert Wooding is about the best coverage I've seen on the subject; there's also a DVD of the process by him around.

Ooh i'll check it out now, thanks for your help again, much appreciated!

Steffi

Morning all!

Just wondering if anyone has this book in their collection and if it is worth the investment too for future reference? 'The Diamond Setting Manual: Procedures & Techniques' by Robert R. Wooding; i am looking at buying 'Bead Setting Diamonds With Pave Applications' by Robert Wooding as it's a bit more in depth, but just wondered as a general guide is the other one worth a look? I already have 'Creative Stonesetting' by John Cogswell which i've read through and looks very good, not had the chance to try much out yet, so didn't know if this would be worth a look too?

I've found this website which is American (dont know if anyone's come across it before and ordered from them?) and their prices seem better than what i've found for the books elsewhere, though need to email about the p+p:

http://www.rocksandgems.info/books/b..._setting.shtml

Thanks, Steffi

From memory, the first one is more for claw setting, while the pave one covers the bead setting in detail. Cogswell is very good, but doesn't really cover much beyond bead setting - I don't remember anything being there about bright cutting.

All from memory right now as I don't have them in front of me!

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    From memory, the first one is more for claw setting, while the pave one covers the bead setting in detail. Cogswell is very good, but doesn't really cover much beyond bead setting - I don't remember anything being there about bright cutting.

All from memory right now as I don't have them in front of me!
    Hi Peter,

I definitely think i'll be investing in the pave book you have suggested; it does briefly cover it in the cogswell book (raising stitches, basic bead and so on) but definitely after something a little more in depth on this setting, so i think that'll be the winner! I think i'll start with this one and take it from there!

Thank-you!
    Steffi

Hi Steffi,

I have got all the books in your post above.
    The wooding ones are great as is the creative stone setting book from cogswell.
    This last one is pretty versatile but like Peter said, not as much about bead setting.
    I do think that although these books are very good, they only show the traditional way of setting stones.
    These days with airgravers and microscopes the techniques have changed a bit. And I havent seen any books about the new aproach of stone setting yet.
    There are a few good tutorials on setting stones but only the traditional way so far.But I got the feeling that will change .
    handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1665
    And this is not bead setting but chanel setting, could be worth while to see too.
    handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=7013

I took the www's out of the url, cause I am not alowed yet to post them

There is a dvd on stone setting combining the traditional way and powertools.
    Is "Up and close with Sam Alfano" available at the grs site. Its great to see but you would need an airgraver and microscope.

Good luck!

Sorry - the system won't allow the posting of links until you've got 5 posts; it's been an occasional deterrent to spammers...

Here's the links:

http://www.handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1665
    http://www.handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=7013

And, for some other examples of Daniel's work - http://houwergoudsmederij.gzu-online.com/shop.php

So when *are* you writing the book on setting with an Airgraver?
    Last edited by ps_bond; 08-02-2011 at 06:43 AM.

Dear Steffi,

Stone setting is a highly skilled profession in its own right and if you could easily pick it up from books and videos, setters woukld have died with the Dodo. In fact they are ever in demand. Nothing will get you started as well as going on a course, but even then, unless you practice regularly you will not reach an acceptable standard. Kind regards, Dennis.

Those links are really interesting Peter, it helps add knowledge to other stuff I'm trying out! A site for my favourites to check out from time to time!
    Thanks!